Thread: Thumb sucking sore

Default Thumb sucking sore

DD2 is an avid thumb sucker, refuses a dummy!
    ATM she has nasty splits on her thumb (only sucks her left and i think its from biting it while she sucks) its all raised and white from being constantly wet. it doesnt look infected and i've been putting lasinoh nipple cream on it to try and heal it as its the only thing i know that heals that can be ingested.
    but to be honest its not doing a hell of a lot.
    Can anyone suggest anything else that might work?

I had one as a kid, just as you described. It didn't hurt, was just a bit gross-looking. The only cure was to stop sucking - which I didn't do until I was 8!

Hey Skybie..I would be taking her to a GP to see what they recommend . A GF of mine had a son who avidly sucked his thumb and it got infected very badly, ended up on AB's. In the end she had to stay by his bed at night and every time he went to put his thumb in his mouth, she would have to pull it out. I think it took a couple of nights of her doing this and he eventually stopped. You could also try bandaging the thumb to see if that worked as in trying to make it less apealing to suck??
    My DS2 is also an thumb sucker, luckily so far we haven't any problems

Thanks girls, Seph, good to know its normal!
    Heather i was thinking about taking her to the chemist to see what they say about it, will definetly keep a close eye on it to make sure it doesnt get infected.
    Its hard atm, she's sick so obviously sucking on it alot more than usual, i cant win lol

I sucked my thumb when I was young and had the same thing. It didn't hurt and like Persephone1 mine went away when I stopped sucking my thumb.