Thread: Are thumbs OK?

motherduck Guest

Default Are thumbs OK?

Not sure if thumb sucking is ok? ...
    Someone told me babbies who suck thier thumbs can get buck teeth, just want to hear if any knows any one who sucked thier thumbs and has ended up with bucked teeth.

Jessica started sucking her thumb about four weeks ago ( I looks so cute ) and now Jack started sucking his this last week, if I try to put the dummy in thier mouth they spit them out and in goes the thumb.
    Nt sure about thumbs as my other two were happy with dummies.

jean - my cousin sucked his thumb til he went to school and he has straight teeth, hasn't needed braces or anything. If Archie wanted to suck his thumb i would let him as it is a very natural thing for babies to do since they even do it in the womb. It does look cute doesn't it

Thumb sucking is fine. Our CHN said that as long as they stop by around school age (and the majority of kids do give it up by then) then there won't be any probs with their teeth.

Paige is a thumb sucker and she has shown no signs of her teeth getting crooked at all. She sucks it most of the night too. I think that if you are aware of problems that can arrise, then you will be able to get onto it right away kwim? and having their thumg right there is such a great comfort to them - not to mention saving you countless trips to put a dummy back in.

But like Madeleine said, I think it is the luck of the draw if they get problems from it or not.

I'm really torn on this.
    My 2 yo is a shocking thumb sucker and everyone (including my dentist) says not to worry about it but her front baby teeth ARE definitely starting to protrude because of it. They came through straight and they aren't so straight now. Whether that means her big teeth will come through crooked or not remains to be seen, but I am really trying to discourage my DS from sucking his fingers because of what I can see happening to DD's teeth.

I Just wanted to add that a friends son was a thumb sucker and ended up with a huge callas on his thumb, it got infected and he got sick because of all the germs. the doctor told her a child/baby should never suck their thumb as should an adult never put their fingers into their own or their childs mouth (unless freshly washed with soap).

My little brother sucked his thumb till he was about 14 years old!! poor little bugger go so much stick for it... but he had no problems with his teeth but due to the excessive thumb sucking his right thumb was considerably smaller than the other! by about 1cm.

Both my brother and I sucked our thumbs until we were 8 and had no probs..in fact have had perfect teeth. I have one thumb sucker who stopped when she was 7 and have had no dental issues whatsoever. I am of the same opinion as Elissa. That it is completely natural and self soothing.

Jo

motherduck Guest

Thanks ladies,
    I think I would have a hard time stopping them anyway but its nice to know its OK

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

my friend stopped her children thumb sucking by wrapping ... not that this helps to comfort them or I am suggesting it .

My best mate has a really hard-ass mum who told her as a very young girl she would have to stop sucking her thumb because she would get bad teeth, and she would have to pay for her own braces. She didn't stop (as if a little kid understands that!) and her front teeth pushed out and she needed braces... and her mum made her pay for them!

Yup. A bit of a drag for a 14-year-old! Working her butt off to pay for something health-related. In my mind that's always been the epitomy of hard-line/"tough-love" parenting... Not for me

Sophie started thumb sucking at about 11 weeks and being in the dental industry i FREAKED!!!, but to be honast it's not a problem at this age and she self settles very very well by doing it, she's calm and i'm calm!!, i'll worry about in a year or so. but it's very cute!! and very hard to stop.

Ned LOVES to suck 2 of his fingers on his left hand and it always calms him. I've never tried him with a dummy (DD STILL has one to sleep!) and it's heaps easier imo - totally portable and on hand (pardon the pun!), and no need to sterilise! If it keeps them happy then why not i say!