Thread: Time to retire the Grobag?

Default Time to retire the Grobag?

We have used the genuine Grobags since Amy was about 10 weeks old. We have never used blankets and have used the 3 different togs depending on the weather. Amyís room is always a minimum of 18 degrees and she has a polar fleece type grosuit on under a 2.5tog Grobag but she seems to still be getting cold. The suit is quite thick and we now have a windcheater on her as well so putting on extra clothes is not really an option, unless we put on another bodysuit? We were thinking of changing to using blanket/s or a doona but she still moves around the cot a lot at night or use a Grobag and blanket. Or we could shop around for a different type of sleeping bag with arms?

If we were to change to blankets, what would we use? I assume it would be a sheet if using a blanket or is a doona better? Also, what age do they need a pillow? What do your baby's have?

Iím sure this question has been asked so please feel free to point me in the right direction.

quickly as Blake's not happy. I think during winter we used top and bottom sheet, cotton cell blanket and woollen blanket with thick pj's. As it got warmer we took off the cotton cell blanket then swapped the wool for cotton cell blankets, then finally only a top sheet. Viv wasn't much of a roamer around the cot. She stayed put. She didn't have a doona in her cot until we took the side off just before she got into her bed.

Oh yeah, she didnt have a pillow until she was in a bed, and really she rarely uses it, even now at 9, most nights her head's on the bed than on the pillow

pillows are anytime after 12 months I think?
    Not sure.

I dress Milo for bed in a long sleeved/leg body suit, plus pjs (top & bottom) under his 2.5 tog grobag if the thermometer says its under 18 degrees. I know the warmth rating is supposed to be the same, but he really does sleep better in the fleecy outer style grobags than the cotton outer ones.

Sometimes mum puts a cell/thermal blanet over him as well - he sleeps better with something heavier on.

I think so Brooke, cause that's all we had before Grobags were invented!

OK Jenna got a pillow about 3m ago (15m or so?) because she loves it. Like absolutely loves one. Its a big thing for her.
    She also went into a big bed about 6w ago too, so she no longer has the grobag.
    I am really surprised that the grobag isn't warm enough for her. We dont heat her room at all, and the 2.5TOG has been great all through winter.
    Have you thought about buying some flannel PJ's? I think they would be warmer than a grosuit, and you should be able to buy some cheaper ones now with summer on the way.

I think we have a warmbod as she doesn't like snuggling under blankets at all. Would rather be on top of them, and hates socks on in bed.

I dont know if any of this helped, but I am sure that our 2.5TOG was plenty warm enough in a room that was likely 15-16deg?

Debbie Lee Guest

Gab is still in a sleeping bag. We don't have a grobag but she has 3 different types - a polar fleece, a regular fleece one and a kind of quilted cotton one. She sleeps well in all of them. I put a blanket on over her but she often ends up on top of it. She has been known to have a pillow in the bed (she's got a really little one that came with a set before she was born) but she doesn't use it - just plays with it for a bit.
    During winter and on the nights that are still cool (which is every night in the house we've just moved to - it's old and has high ceilings so it's colder than our last house) she has a small oil bar heater going just to take the chill off the air. Seems to work ok.
    I'm hoping to get her out of the sleeping bag when the weather gets warmer. At the moment I can't even get her to sleep without the sleeping bag during the day. But, then, she was fully swaddled until 10 months old so I think it's a security thing with her.

Gemma, how is your decision making going? Have you tried Amy with blankets yet? I can lend you some if you want to try them before you buy as we have them from Viv and to date, Blake's in a grobag.

WOW... I'm thinking we underdress Matilda...

She has 1 blanket on and wears cotton on long sleeve pj's. She has a bottom sheet. We don't use a heater anymore, but it is QLD... and warmer now. If we put more clothes or blankets she kicks them all off & will wake up HEAPS but if we leave her the way she is she sleeps better, so we try to minimalise how much she has layered on her. We bought her a doona for this winter when she turned 2 and she was in her bed from 16 months with a pillow.

Christy....we are the same with Charlie..he has cotton long sleeve jarmies & a thinnish fleece sleeping bag and thats the lot.......Olivia is the same......long sleeve jarmies and a blanket, nothing else.......they both sleep better that way.......(both sound like Matilda in that they love being nudie too......hot blooded little tots!)

LOL I was thinking the same thing Christy!! Zander usually has on a singlet & cotton (or flannelette) pyjamas, a top sheet & a blanket!! During winter he had a LS bodysuit under his jarmies and an extra blanket but that was it. Oh and the heater in winter too. But now I've even been considering getting his summer pyjamas out!

Last night she slept in just her long sleeve thin pj's and no blanket because she was "too cold mummy" (she's got hot & cold confused atm...)