Thread: Tips and Advice Needed please!

Default Tips and Advice Needed please!

DS has always slept at our house and in his cot!
    We need to travel interstate for a special occasion, and its going to take us 10 hours to get there by car, so we will be travelling for 5 hours for 2 days, up and back.....
    I can just imagine what its going to be like for him
    I am really worried that DS is going to be overtired and so restless, and not want to sleep in a portacot in a totally different environment!
    Has anyone got any advice or tips for travelling long distance, and sleeping bubs in a different place? I am really worrying about how it is going to affect him.

Yes, all the usual tricks, wrapping, patting, getting him accustomed to the portacot at home in a familiar environment. DD was used to going to sleep with a musical pullastring toy (dunno why we did it at home - can't remember at all) but it was fabulous cos we had a small wind up toy that played exactly the same music that we took with us on trips. Worked a treat!

You might find that rather than overtired he has slept too much in the car, as they tend to snooze off on long road trips. Re the road trip, it was high summer and DD kept herself endlessly amused with a sippy cup with water that she could shake on herself!

HTH
    :-)

We have travelled a lot with DS when he was a baby, yes they do become unsettled at times but I ound these things helped.
    1. take familar blankets/music for sleep time
    2. try and keep to sleep and nap routine although don't ruin your holiday stressing over nap times ;-)
    3. Try to relax as kids pick up on your stress levels
    4. We never bothered with port-a-cot, the only ones we saw looked and felt so uncomfortabe, DS either co-slept with us or you can hire cots at most motels/hotels.
    5. we would fill a basket with toys and put it within reach of the carseat.
    Take lots of breaks when kids are awake but keep driving while they sleep.
    7. Have non-mess foods available.

Have a great time!

SNACKS SNACKS & MORE SNACKS!!

Our first big trip with Zander was to Melbourne (11hrs in one day) and he was almost 8 months old. He was only awake for about 2hrs of that & was great.

Our second trip was to the Gold Coast (12.5hrs in one day) when he was 10 months old & it was tough. He was pretty good & dozed in & out for most of the trip, but for the last 2hrs he was very very cranky. We left before he was due to wake up, had him still in his pyjamas because we transferred him whilst asleep which helped as we were nearly 2hrs into the trip before he was fully awake. I made sure he had heaps of snacks, they kept his energy up & kept him entertained for a lot of the time. We made sure we had lots of music for him as well & that helped. Also lots of different toys, I kept some in the front with me & would give him different ones when he got bored with the ones he had. We stopped a lot more often than we normally would & made sure there was plenty of room for him to run around when we did stop. Ummmm if he was asleep when we planned a stop we'd just keep going, so we ended up having lunch at something like 3pm because we kept going while he was asleep & quiet. Ummmm nappies were a big issue. When he was ready to do a poo he screamed & screamed because he couldn't do it properly sitting in his car seat. Once he was out & wandering he was ok to go properly, so keep that in mind too.

We're doing it again this January, but if we have to we'll stop & take two days to get there.

As for the portacot, do you have one? If not can you borrow one? I would set it up in a different room in the house & put him in it for day sleeps until you have to go away. That way he's not in his room, not in his bed but still in a familiar environment IYKWIM. It might help him to adjust a bit before being thrown into lots of different things - new place, new people, new bed.

Definately the day sleep in a port a cot trick helps them familiarise in their homes. As for the car trips as well maybe if he likes his TV borrow or hire a portable DVD player too?

I went up to my parents place with Jesse last weekend. The trip wasnt as long as yours but was still 2 hours and he slept most of the way. He then had a pretty big day and one time had a bit of trouble settling but was fine after he was wrapped and cuddled/patted for a while and then slept like an angel both nights in the travel cot. I know he is a lot younger but i agree, id try sleeping him in the travel cot at home before you leave so he gets use to it.

My DF and I are going to melbourne on the 22nd and we decided to leave at night as DS will be asleep. (well we hope so!!)He is a good sleeper and he sleeps well at night so i am thinking of putting the cd that he sleeps to on and with his teddy and bottle he should nod off.
    With me expecting again we will be doing alot of stops so i dont know about if he will wake or whatever.
    My brothers went well in the car/truck as their dad is a truck driver and my mum said they slept better at night when they were in the truck! Go figure..
    As for the porta cot i would try the suggestion of putting him to sleep in it during his day nap and in a different room. Goodluck!