Thread: TMI!! diarrhea in b/f babies

Default TMI!! diarrhea in b/f babies

OK, I know breastfed babies have runny bowel motions, but when does it become diarrhea?

I've been treating Milo with daktarin for oral thrush, which the leaflet says can cause diarrhea, and I think it is.

His poo today was liquid, it actually almost looked like it was a runnier verions of the daktarin, except the right/mustard colour.

I am seeing a nurse tomorrow as he's suppposed to be having his 2 month immunisations - not sure whether she'll do them?

Does anyone know if there's something else that can be used to treat the thrush?

Should I stop giving him the daktarin (he has another 2 doses before I see the nurse/midwife tomorrow)

Rachel

Charlie was on Daktaren gel for ages too (his mouth and my nipples seemed to have constant thrush in the early months....) and he always did very numerous & very runny liquid poos whilst Daktaren was in his system. But he was never distressed at all, nor did he ever get nappy rash.

I asked about it at his 2 month check up and my GP and the MCHN both said it was to be expected and to just keep BF'ing, and they still gave him his needles no probs.

I asked if there was another product that would reduce the effects, but they both indicated that Daktaren was simply the best, and that they didn't recomment anything else.

thanks so much for your reply Lucy.

Its very reassuring to hear these things from someone who has BTDT.

I'll ask tomorrow but am a lot less concerned. I also checked him for any signs of dehydration, which he doesn't have, and he seems his usual self.

thanks again

Rachael, I got a bit worried about one set of needles for jenna - she was a bit sniffy.
    they told me that babies have to be almost dying (you know whtat I mean - not actually dying of course ) before they dont give them needles.

Certainly mention it to the nurse though, and keep some barrier cream on that little botty to keep it nice and dry.

Fi

Colleen Guest

Yep, we had the same with the daktarin gel, but it worked absolute wonders on the thrush and Daktarin was probably the last thing we tried.

I used a couple of other things and nothing gave relief the way the daktarin did.

Good Luck, Thrush is such a nasty thing