Thread: Toddler breathing in vomit?

Default Toddler breathing in vomit?

Ok, not sure where to put this, but DS just vomited and I am sure he breathed it in at the same time, because he was freaking out and choking, and coughing alot...This has freaked me out now, cos I have heard that this can cause chest infection/pneumonia? Am I just being paranoid?
    He's ok at the moment, but has me worried now

Hi Ally. My kids have inhaled vomit before. Ive never heard of it being of any concern except choking. Its so hard because they panic and are crying because they are scared and just breathe it in.

Does he have a virus, was it something he ate or did he just gag?

I hope he's ok.

Thanks Rayla, helps put me at ease a bit....He's not sick, he was just being a silly bugger and triying to dive into his little sofa!!! He had a big lunch, and that seems to have been what came up. EEwwww....I think he will be ok...He has just been in the wars lately, poor lil guy....

awww Ally I think the only other concern if they breath it in is it causing lung issues "aspiration" which can sometimes get infected. Usually you can tell when it happens as they have rattling breathing. Most of the time when they breath it in the choking & coughing stops it from getting to far into the body again. *hugs* sounds like he should be fine.

Thanks Christy ...I will keep an eye on his breathing over the next few weeks...Thanks for your info

Eliza aspirated on her vomit during her last gastro experience. I didnt know, it was only when I took her to the GPs they rushed us to the hospital on the risk of infection. Her upper lung had been effected but she recovered really quickly after some antibotics and IV. She was really unwell in herself though, if you are worried your GP can let you know if there lungs are clear.
    Bec

Thanks Bec, I shall take him to the Docs to chat about his little event! That must have been very scary for you to see your lil one get an infection from it :eek: Just wondering, how long after her gastro did they find it? I would assume if DS got an infection from it, that it would take at least a week to show up?

Thanks Fletch!

It was almost straight away Ally it was amazing as I thought we would be in and out of the doctors only to be told "this child needs to be admitted to hospital straight away" This would of been scarey except we had only been home from a week there 2 weeks ago:eek:. Hopefully your DS isnt showing any unwell signs but worth a check.
    Congrats on the little one BTW gotta love those FET kids