Thread: toddler gym

Default toddler gym

I've just arranged for Yasin to have a trial toddler gym lesson at the YMCA in a couple of weeks. I'm just wondering what to expect and also how tired he will be after it. Will I need to take him home for an early nap?
    Also is there a big differance between gymbaroo and toddler gym at a gymnastics club? There certainly seems to big a big price differance. Gymbaroo is about $70 a term ($7 a week) more expensive than at the YMCA gym.

Chloe I think it depends on the gym itself. We take Matilda to an actual gymnastics academy which runs a toddler gym program. We have 15 minutes of group time, stretching together, singing songs... then they get free time on the equipment. We have obstacle courses with gigantic foam objects & wider balance & climbing frames as well as olympic sized trampolines & rings to hold & swing on & bars to flip around on.... so Matilda hates sitting through the group time but runs manic for 30 minutes or so afterwards on trampolines & the obstacle courses... we get home she eats & goes to bed an hour early because she's absolutely exhausted, but she loves it. It is around $7 a class but you pay for the 10 week term up front & you pay to become a member of the academy. So its basically for insurance as well.

When we used to go to a PCYC gym class it was heaps smaller with less gear but she liked it just the same. She was a bit more advanced than the other kids and it was a lot smaller....

Gymbaroo (hills district) is $165 for a 10 week term so YMCA lessons are heaps cheaper even with the extra $35. The Bankstown YMCA has a system where you pay for the first lesson as a single lesson and then if they like it you book the rest of term so you can go along and see what you think without being stuck paying for a whole heap of lessons you don't want.
    The way I see it $85 is about the same price as a term of swimming lessons.
    At the moment Yasin is in a place with swimming where he is really confident and happy in the water but not old enough to go up to the next level so it makes sense for us to do gym for a little while instead and swim informally. I don't want to overload him with structured activity/lessons but at the same time I think that doing some kind of sport is a good habit for him and helps him with his social skills. Since he's only 2(almost) I think that 1 lesson a week is plenty (for my wallet too lol).

Gym classes are so great. Ive used both the private toddler gym and the PCYC gym that is alot cheaper and for longer but isnt for under 3s. We have toddler gym here starting for toddlers from 18 months which Sammy is starting in Feb. They are a great way to learn new skills, mix with other kids and have soooo much fun.

Jo

Hi,

When my DD was 18 months old i took her to a local run gym every friday morning The class was for 18 months-3 years old. She was the youngest. We did 2 terms. I didnt feel she got much out of it. The classes were very structured, which is great for a 3 -4 year old, but an 18 month old is not going to sit and listen to instructions during a 45 min class - thats what i found anyway. The activites they did do each week, i could (and did) quite easily do at home.
    I also found it expensive. A push on the swings at the local park, along with some ball throwing, followed by a baby cappucino or strawberry smoothie afterwards was much more enjoyable - for both of us.

Fletch, if you're near Campbelltown the Gymnastics and Trampoline Sports Club there has toddler gym classes that are $7.80 each and pay as you go. They're in the mornings and you can go any morning instead of the same day every week.

ETA - Lollipops is just as good for me - the coffee's better LOL.

ETA - mbear, IKWYM about classes being expensive and to a certain extent I agree that throwing a ball in the park is just as fun but I found with Yasin's swimming lessons that I learnt heaps from them about how to teach him water safety and familiarisation so it wasn't just him learning but me and DH as well.

Quote Originally Posted by dachlostar View Post
    Fletch, if you're near Campbelltown the Gymnastics and Trampoline Sports Club there has toddler gym classes that are $7.80 each and pay as you go. They're in the mornings and you can go any morning instead of the same day every week.
    Ooer Dach, where did you find that out? Might be something for Zander & I to do....

LOL neverplan... rugby eh?

Well Matilda loves her gym & I go because she gets absolutely smashed & sleeps well. But she wasn't so into the PCYC so maybe it is worth checking out places and finding the one most appropriate to your child. PCYC was smaller and less big gear and she owned it in minutes, the gym she goes to now is enormous & she spends at least 15 minutes on the massive trampolines and loves it.

Sarah, I found it while I was ringing around looking for somewhere for Yasin to go. The price is good and I liked the flexibility but its a bit too far from Kebabistan. they don't have a website but I could PM you thier contact details if you want them.

neverplan, you've got to watch out for those rugby kids - they're mean!! My little brother used to play under 6's rugby. They made them play bare foot so no-one would get hurt by shoes and one day before the game I found the little monster with Mum's nail scissors and nail file. He was sharpening his toe-nails :eek:

Yes please Chloe You could always come & visit me when you go

Oh Chloe - Kebabistan LMAO!!!!!!!! I have to tell my DH!!!

ETA I'm still laughing!!
    Last edited by hannanat; September 29th, 2006 at 09:30 PM.

That was the best fun Yasin has ever had (better than Lollipops) he went nuts jumping into the foam pit and on the trampolines but he wasn't so keen on the balence bar because it was too slow lol. He was so over excited by the end of it that he started to freak out a bit and chucked a massive tanty when it was time to go. He's just taken himself to bed for his nap an hour early lol.
    I didn't have such a great time because I had Imran with me too and trying to keep an eye on him while Yasin went manic was bit stressful but when DH is in town it will be easier because I'll leave Imran at home with him.
    It was definately worth the $10 and they gave me a discount on all the yearly fees because its the last term .

Sounds exactly like what Matilda was like... she did settle down after a few goes and soon understand the idea that the end meant home/lunch/bed. She was begging for her naps most days & I just made going home into special times, she got a lolly when she went to the car without a tantrum, so the last few times we went she was running to the car happy as can be.

Yay, sounds like he loved it Chloe So which one did you go to?

We're actually going to our first one at Airds tomorrow morning

Sarah, we went to the Bankstown YMCA. I bet you have a blast tomorrow.
    Christy, they sing a winding down song at the end with a giant teddy but he was way too hyped to join in. I think that after a few weeks he'll know that when the teddy comes out its time to slow down. The instructor wasn't too fussed about whether he joined in or not - she runs through the calss and the children join in or not as they want. I'm hoping that eventually he'll join in a bit more so he can get more used to the idea of taking turns and so on.
    I might take a lolly along for next time or maybe a pop top fruit drink.