Thread: toddler losing weight

Default toddler losing weight

i have just come back from weighing eliana & she has lost weight! i'm not exactly sure what to do as i don't know if it is a growth spurt or something more serious - i have noticed this last week that she has been drinking heaps & heaps of fluids but still eating well
    - here is her weight's
    10months - 9.1kg length 77cms
    11months - 9.25kg length 78cms
    12months - 9.13kg length 81cms
    she has never put on alot anyway (long & skinny child) but i was just shocked she had lost weight - i did use a different scale but i don't think it would vary that much - she was 5.1kgs born so i guess i thought she would weigh more by now

i cant help you with any querie as to toddler weight loss Melissa (except that i wouldnt really be all that surprised if the different scales were out by that much), but just wondering if the 5.1kg birth weight was a typo?

no linda the 5.1kgs wasnt a typo - she was 11lb 4oz & 57.5cms long!

wow melissa! i just thought that because i thought babies would triple or something in the first year - shows how much i know!!

Kirsty77 Guest

Holy heck thats a good weight!hehehe My sisters daughter lost weight also and she was freaking out about it.The doc said it was because of a combination of a growth spurt and her being quite active.I'd ask the doctor anyway just to be sure and maybe try using a different scale.

Mel i doubt its a problem. With Lily she was 7.75kgs at 6 months and at 8 months she was only 7.7kgs, and that was with the same clothes and same scales. So in 2mths she didnt put anything on.

Kimberley lost weight a little while ago she was nearly 15kilos then when she was checked at the doctors she was only 13kilos.

I don't think it is anything to worry about.

Melinda Guest

Perhaps you could try weighing her again in another week or so, just to be sure.

You'd be surprised how much using different scales can affect things like this too - so it may be something as simple as that.

If you notice any other symptoms with her or you weigh her again and the next time she's lost weight too, then perhaps a trip to the Doctor is worthwhile. I assume that she's behaving otherwise like her normal self??

I know it's a worry.......hopefully everything is just fine!

Thats my Paris

She was exactly the same! She was 9lb1oz at birth and slowly lost more and more weight. Then she'd gain some and then lose again. She's still a light feather at 14kgs at nearly 4 (in 2 weeks) but I personally think if she's eating well, and having plenty of nappies you have NOTHING to worry about. I love it how the MCHN's get you all worked up, I know they did us we even got sent to see a paed. Who told us pretty much what I'm telling you, all kids follow their own pattern, some start off bigger, loose weight then even out or stay the same. Others start off little, get bigger then even out with age. So long as she's healthy I think thats all that matters.

BUT having said that if you are concerned please do see a Dr just to be sure!

*mwa*
    Cailin

Matilda's been up & down the last 4 months. When she turned 12 months she was 9.7kg, and last week she was 10.6kg. So in 5 months she's gone up to 10.5kg and back down to 10kg and up again. I think it happens as they go through growth spurts & then settle down again. I asked the ECHN last time I was in & she said Matilda was still going well on the chart, and looked good so not to worry any more. but like Cailin said, if it is a concern definately chat with your Dr about it.

I put Emily on the scales today and it said she was 9.6 kg... when I got her weighed a month ago at the MCHN she wieghed 10.8kg (clothes on).... I'm not worried, she runs rings around me and eats and drinks fine.... she is just over 2yo btw

Tanya

thanks everyone - i can put my mind to rest - was just a bit shocked that she weighed less when i know how much she eats - i'll weigh her in a couple of weeks to see if she has lost any more & if she has i will see the dr (unless of course anything else happens to her)
    thanks again