Thread: toddlerbed v normal bed v cot

Default toddlerbed v normal bed v cot

Is there a differance between a toddler bed and a normal single bed? Is there any reason that a toddler bed would be safer than a normal, low single bed? I don't really want to spend alot of money on something that will only be used for a couple of years when we already have a bed IYKWIM.
    Yasin is 16 months now and for the last few months we have put him to sleep on the single bed in his room and then moved him to his cot after he is asleep. I recently noticed that he always sleeps well on his single bed and if he wakes up will have a sook but by the time I get to his room is fast asleep again. In his cot if he wakes up he doesn't put himself back to sleep.
    Last night we tried leaving him in his bed all night and he slept right through!!!!! DH is worried about him falling out although its a really low bed and he can climb on and off it at will. I'm a bit worried about the safety aspect too although I have a little more confidence than DH.
    I'm not quite sure what to do - leave him in his cot where he can't escape but won't sleep through (he's never liked it), just keep using the single bed or invest in a toddler bed? I'm open to any suggestions.

You could get a safety rail? It is attached to side of bed & stops kids from rolling out...
    In Bali Maddy was 2 & in a single bed, the flkoors are all white tiled & she felt out about 4 times the first night & crack each time, I stacked pillows next to the bed...
    But the bed was on different wall than hers at home & couldnt swap sides... The next night she slept closer to wall & was fine, she did fall out of bed the first night we came home to OZ too, getting used to it again.. But no injuries!!!
    I think a single bed is a better option.. As you would need special sheets etc for a special toddler bed...
    Good Luck Dach...

Personally I'd say use the single bed and get a rail! As for climbing out its bound to happen eventually and if he's not sleeping in his cot then its kinda the same isn't it. Seth will use his cot as a toddler bed until he is too short LOL! We were going to do this with Paris, but becuase my SIL gave us my neices old bed we moved her out of it, and also we were TTC and wanted to make sure the cot was long forgotten about before the new baby slept in it to ensure no jealousy issues. But as Seth will be our last we won't have to worry, and the longer I can go without spending more $$ on a bed the better LOL!

Goodluck!

*hugs*
    Cailin

If you already have a bed then why buy another one - a safety rail is a good idea, you can buy them in kmart or target and they just attach to the side so you can take it off whenever you want. We bought a toddler bed for Harry, which just fit cot sheets and has built in side railings, but if Yasin is fine in a regular bed then I wouldn't bother buying a toddler bed. Harry is now in a 'big' bed and the toddler bed is in Grace's room ready for her to use when she is older.

Bon

Viv was a little bit older than Yasin when she went into the single bed but I used her cot mattress on the floor next to the bed in case she fell out. She's only ever fallen out of bed 2, maybe 3 times ever and never wakes up!

For Blake we've got him one of those cool F1 car shaped beds which is really low to the ground. We're planning/hoping he'll go into that around 18 months (if TTC goes according to plan!)

Id definitely stick with the single bed. Then you're there, no changing again. Just get the rail and go from there. The novelty would soon wear off anyway, so if he gets in and out that will soon stop. xo

mooshie Guest

my first dd went into a normal single bed at 18mths - it was pushed against one wall and the side she could fall out of i just put the cot mattress there - no problems at all - apart from her being able to escape lmao.

the toddler beds look okay and i am guessing you could probably use them till about age 5 - i believe they take a normal cot mattress and cot bedding.

my ds has got a thomas the tank bed it is a bit lower than a normal size bed and he just had that in the middle of the room but didn't go into it until aged 3, he is now nearly 6 and asking to get a new bed - so looks like good ol thomas will be up on ebay soon and then we will be going to get new bedroom furniture - ohhh i love redecorating lol

We just bought a toddler bed recently from IKEA for get this,....$55 and we put Matilda's cot mattress in it and a pillow at the bottom. Its low to the ground and has a small bar down one side. She's gone really well into and we decided to do this as we want a higher up cool big girls bed and we weren't ready at 17 months to do that.... O

Melinda Guest

Could you just take the side off the cot for a while and see how he goes with that? I think most cots you can do that with.....so it naturally converts to a toddler bed IYKWIM?

I think we will be taking the side off Jacob's cot eventually so that he can get as much use from it as possible before moving to a big bed (and so that we can ensure he is totally ready for it too). We'll probably get another cot for this little sausage when it comes along and do the same thing down the track. There will be no need for us to buy single beds for them as we have 2 spare single beds already, but they are just a bit on the high side (they are the ensemble-type IYKWIM?) so we'll delay going into those for a while I think and convert the cots to toddler beds instead.

Sanna67 Guest

Help please

Kaile loves his cot. We brought him a todller bed for when the baby arrives, but he wont go to sleep in it, we have to put him in it asleep otherwise he ends up sleepind behind the door on the floor and if he wakes during the night he wanders into our room.

Has anyone got any ideas on how to make the transistion from cot to bed with minimal disruption???

Thanks ladies

maybe you could go shopping together and let Kaile choose some sheets for his new big boy bed - if the budget can stretch to it maybe some special new pyjamas too - to match the sheets.
    maybe you could do up a star chart and give him a star for every night he stays in his bed and when he has 5 stars he can have a special treat (go out for ice cream, a cheap new toy etc).

Have you tried day sleeps first? Like Dachlostar said, I love the idea of the star charts to encourage... I started Matilda on day sleeps first when she was really zonked & would lay next to her to help her see what she needed to do...

We also did the band aid effect with Matilda at one point because she kept running to her cot & climbing in and out, so we pulled the cot out of her room & apart so there was no other option but to sleep on her new bed.