Thread: Tongue Protrusion

Default Tongue Protrusion

When my 3 month old DD is very tired sometimes her tongue protrudes, for example when she is trying to fall asleep and needs her pacifier, I try to put it in her mouth but often her tongue keeps getting in the way and she can't seem to get the pacifier in her mouth. She eventually is able to get it in her mouth and suck on it. Also when we feed her (she's bottle fed) sometimes as she gets drowsier, towards the end of the bottle, her tongue starts poking out and getting in the way of the nipple, making it hard for her to suck. Sometimes (but not usually) she does this when she is not tired also. Does anyone else's baby have this problem? Do you think it may be something to worry about, like an indication of a develpmental delay, or am I just being paranoid?

Thanks!
    Stephanie

No one else's dc has this problem? Ok, now I really AM getting worried.....

OK I had to check back on some photos of Mason so I could be sure of the dates.
    He would have his tongue out quite a bit up until about 6 weeks awake or asleep. I think it was around 6 months that he stopped but my memory could be a bit hazy on that one.

When I was BF him in the early days his tongue did seem to get in the way and I had to hold it down for a min or 2 to kind of teach him how to suck properly. He also wasn't keen on the dummy at all but Daddy was more persistant in holding it in than he was a spitting it out

Thanks Shannon - I'd be lying if I said that hadn't crossed my mind also. I mentioned it to her MCHN several weeks ago but she didn't seem too concerned (although her tongue is out more now than it was then) as she is otherwise very healthy, is gaining lots of weight, is very happy and is meeting all of her milestones. I don't think her tongue is too big or her mouth too small as she only does this some of the time, I would think it would be a constant problem if this was the case. I will bring it up again at her 4 month apppintment just to ease my mind. Thanks again.

My baby brother (now 6 months) had this problem for the first couple of months after he was born. It's like he didn't know what to do with his tongue when he was tired. The CHN gave mum some exercises to do with him to 'teach' him what to do with his tongue and it was all fixed up within a couple of weeks.

Hope it's something easily solved for you and you dd.

Bel

I was the same as a baby/infant. It was related to my breathing (I didnt breath in & out through my nose, hence my tongue used to stick out the teeniest bit almost like a little puppy panting! *L*) and I grew out of it as a toddler. I did have my adnoids removed and grommets put in my ears at 18 months in an attempt to correct my breathing but it never did work as it was supposed to!

I still don't really use my nose to breath unless I'm actively concentrating on using it; but I definately don't stick my tongue out anymore. At least I don't think I do....

I agree with Shannon though...speak to a paed or GP about it.