Thread: Tongue-Tie in a Toddler: Has anyone had this treated?

Question Tongue-Tie in a Toddler: Has anyone had this treated?

Hi,

I've just been to the dentist today and they told me that my son (2yrs 10mths) has a moderate tongue-tie - (first time anyone's mentioned it!)

He (dentist) questioned whether my son's speech was affected or whether he had trouble breastfeeding (which he didn't - and still doesn't).

He suggested that we could have the skin under the tongue lasered to free it (eek!) and gave me a pamphlet to think about it.

Just wondering if anyone has had their toddler treated for tongue-tie, as this, I can imagine, would be much trickier than lying a newborn down for the procedure.

Thinking about it, my DS has trouble pronouncing "th" sounds, but he's very talkative and has been since before he was 1.

I have now noticed that he can't lick above his top lip... (think orange juice moustache)

Does anyone know if this can stretch more over time and become less of an issue? or is the dentist's recommendation to deal with it sooner rather than later a good one?

Would love some other perspectives.

Thanks.

Hun, my DS had his snipped as a young baby as he was unable to attach. I don't think laser was an option then, but it sounds like a good way to have it released.

As far as I know, the ties do stretch, or get worn against teeth and eventually snip themselves in a small percentage of cases. However they don't always and apart from speech issues there are also social issues (not being able to stick your tongue out, perhaps difficulty with ice-cream cones), and dental issues as the tongue can't clear the food from the mouth properly.

Have you asked the dentist what is involved? It used to be that it had to be done under a GA if not done in the first couple of months, but the laser sounds like it might be much easier than that. I would want to know exactly what was involved - what sedation etc before I made up my mind. But I do know we haven't looked back since having DS's tie snipped.

My SIL had hers treated as ababy and she has no problem with her speech. She has one son with tongue tie and one without. Both boys have no problems with speech and the one with tongue tie has not had his tongue snipped and the dr said he is ok to leave it as is.

My DS2 had his snipped as a toddler.
    It was a day procedure - we went in at about 10 and left at about 4. He had a G.A. which scared hell out of me. They gave up pain stop but he didn't need it after the first dose. The next day he was back up and about.

DH & I have managed to get an appointment this week with DS's paediatrician, so we'll see what he says. I'm not going to rush this - DS's vocab is excellent, so I don't want to mess with something, just because a dentist says can fix it....