Thread: too much sleep?

Default too much sleep?

Can babies sleep too much?

The past couple of days, Milo's been sleeping a lot.

Tue night he went down for the night at 10pm, slept til 5am, had a feed and was asleep again by 5:30. Slept til 9am, tried feeding him but he wasn't hugry and was falling asleep. He then slept til noon, had a bit of a feed, and slept again til 3pm. Was awake for a couple of hours in the evening and slept 10:30 - 6:30am that night.

I reckon in 24 hours he would normally have between 10 - 12 hours sleep, but the past few days its been more like 16 - 18.

I didn't seem hungry, just wanting to sleep, and when I did offer him the breast he'd refuse, or fall asleep in my arms.

You lucky lucky person!!!!!! I was just told yesterday actually that often babies do have a change at around 6 weeks. Mind you, we are changing EVERY day!! I know Jillian was experiencing the same thing with Imogen, and maybe its' a growth spurt, needing lots of sleep for the body to do the growing. If you're concerned maybe call a doc and see what they say, or Tresillian.

Hi - at the eight week checkup, the health nurse said that on average, they're up 9 hours and down 15 hours a day. Its hard to think that they're awake for that long, but I guess you don't know how long they're awake in the cot before they let you know. I guess being awake for an hour to an hour and a half each feed is long enough.

Alex has also been doing long sleeps at night - 9 hours the past three nights, but he's had restless days or we've been out and the routine is not there. Most days now he only has four feeds. Some days five.

Barb.

Debbie Lee Guest

Hi Rachael,
    I posted a veerrrrry similar post a few months ago... actually, I had the exact same topic subject "Too much sleep?" hehehe

It's here anyway: http://bellybelly.com.au/forums/view...=15132&start=0

From 4 days old Lily has slept about 10-12 hours. She has a nap for around 2-3 hours also. She wakes up at about 7-8am has a nap from about 2-4pm then goes to bed at around 8pm.

Yup, Kynan did that too! He'd sleep for long stretches at a time, wake briefly & have a feed then want to go back to sleep for another few hours LOL.

ETA This is the thread that I posted http://bellybelly.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12586

Lee-Ann Guest

Well I've noticed Regan sleeping a fair bit considering she was a 2 - 3 1/3 hourly sleeper. She has been having a big sleep at night 5 - 6 hours then she will sleep another 3 hours after that. Which I've found wonderful. She will be a bit more active during the day, napping throughout the day but she will still have one big sleep during the day of about 3 hours.

Yeah thanks Shannon (you've got a great memory) it was me. Hendrix was a huge sleeper and he is definately "normal". I say enjoy it and put your feet up with a cuppa.