Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Top 3 things you didn't need for baby

Baby Bath Seat
    Baby Carrier
    Baby Shoes - we just used socks or booties
    Bassinet Sheets - i used new flanny nappies to line matress, as we had to change them every hour due to sons reflux.

abs Guest

we were pretty thoughtful about what we bought, and can't think of anything really of the top of my head that was a "waste of money"

Sure some of the more extravagant clothing barely got worn, but they were gifts. Quite a few were never opened, so we'll use them as gifts to others

Definitely love:

(things WE bought)
    * swing
    * change table/bath combo - flip over the table and has a bath underneath. And it really is the perfect height for both Jen & I - worth the money at even double the price !!!

(pressies/onloan)
    * monitor - useful with a 2 storey house. Jordy is still in our bedroom, but allows Jen to feed in there, and I work downstairs... so she can talk normally and I can hear if she needs a hand with anything etc (dunno if the movement part was really needed but if Jen's peace of mind is at ease, then I'm happy too) - though this was a pressie from her 2 brothers
    * tommy teepee nappy sausage thing - most excellent device for hiding those smelly nappies for up to several days (the actual unit is on loan, we've bought the refills)
    * "Milkbar" feeding pillow - this was a godsend for Jen's shoulders as it put Jordy at the right height for breastfeeding. Solved her very painful shoulder immediately that no end of Physio did a single thing for

there's probably a few other godsends around here too

I love my baby bath and monitor!! I learnt from DD1 that I don't need most things. Don't use a change table for one. WHat the other things I've learnt not to get is alot of toys, we have a few that she plays with, will just wait for b'days and christmas to get toys from rellies. I also keep some in cupboard so I can pull them out when she's bored with others (she really does not have alot at all, compared to my other friends with kids). Also we dont' have many clothes. Pretty much every single day she just wears her bonds wondersuits! Easy to buy new clothes, I just go to woollies!!
    I really have very little for her. I got a cheap pram (great because I will downgrade to stroller soon that's even smaller, and won't feel I've wasted any money on a pram). We have a rocker for her which has been great and I just bought a highchair (the cheapest but it does the job)!!
    So My top 3 I don't use would be:
    1. change table
    2. clothes
    3. toys
    (Im not a mean mum, we do have toys, but I don't believe they need too much. Im also happy to make things like bottle's filled with rice)! xoox

Debbie Lee Guest

Meg - we do that too. Gabby has stacks of coke bottles filled with rice and pasta that we coloured with food dye. I had loads of fun making them and she loves playing with them (and so do her friends!).

abs Guest

Brooke, we are gonna do the same with a few spare bottles

And earlier today we tried the Bumbo we were given... Jordy loved it too - 2 pics of him sitting in it on his picture website here

I too love my change table and my monitor. we have to keep the doors all shut as we have a cat that chews..... so a monitor is a must in this house.
    And the change table is a godsend. I hate dressing her on the floor as it hurts my back.
    We borrowed our baby bath and rocker, so I dont feel like I wasted money on them, but they didn't get much use.
    Most useless items would be booties (especially for an early walker on tiled floors!!!) top sheets - we use a sleeping bag and dresses smaller than a 1. Jenna didn't get much use at all out of these as she was crawling in a 00, and starting to walk in an 00-0, so dresses are just dangerous when they are crawling.

Hmmm- tough one.
    1- Change mat - planned to put it on a table, but ended up using the couch when she was little and now the floor. I use it, but don't need it, a towel would do to catch accidents.
    2 - Good clothes - had to many at one stage and not enough at home cloths, really just need 2 sets and 1 semi good one as back up in the nappy bag
    3 - Fancy bedding - as has been said before what is the use of the pillow case? Mainly use sleeping bags/suits here, so top sheets etc aren't that much use.

I do use a baby bath, we have no big bath and the laundry/kitchen sinks were too cold for a winter baby. Only time we did not use it was when Maggie was too long for it, but was not yet sitting (we showered with her). We used it again once she was sitting really well by herself.

For toys rather than bottles I use the little specimen jars (unused of course). Hundreds and thousands work really well in them and they are small enough for bubs to hold

I can't believe how many don't like change tables! LOL. I love having everything on hand. I'd hate to have to grab the wipes, the nappy bucket, the new nappy.. etc etc.. at every change.

I can't think of 3 things that we haven't used! LOL. We do use the monitor.. but only really if we're downstairs or outside.. during the night he's right next door, and I only have it on silent so I can see the temp in his room hehehe.

umm... We have the bath under the change tables (same as abs) but I don't like it, coz it makes it a 2 person job to bath the baby, coz while you hold the wet slippery baby, someone else needs to put the changetable back down so you can then dry him! Plus he got too long for it VERY quickly, it's a pretty small bath. I'll move him to the big bath eventually. hehe.

Quilts - we were given these as presents, but of course can't use them yet. So I guess that's something you'd need later?

Rocker - use it ALL the time, coz he's not always impressed to be put flat on the floor, he can see us better when he's sitting.

Pram - get a good one! I love ours, sooooo easy to drive, and useful for putting to sleep through the day.

hmmm... i've still only got 2 things. LOL. Oh well. We didn't really buy a great deal, so not much has gone to waste. Poor little darling is still waiting on some decent toys! LOL. He's quite happy just singing songs with mummy at the moment

aaah... good one Astrid! Changemat! Yup... never used them. Use flat nappy on the change table, and when we're out I use the disposable ones. Have only had to dispose of about 2 so far.. so reusable lots of times

abs Guest

I guess it helps that I work from home re the change table/bath combo, so am always at hand when it comes time to do the bath

Though I do know what you mean re the size of it - won't be tooo much longer before Jordy has outgrown it too. I see Tallon is about 3 weeks older than him

Yeah.. DH works from home on and off, and bathtime is usually around 9pm anyway, so we're both around, but it's just a pain. hehe. And he hasn't been able to have a good 'swim' in the bath for ages coz he donks his head on the end. LOL. He won't know himself in a big bath!

I think you can get a change table with a pull-out bath.. so they're side by side.. that probably would have been better.

i found that alot of the things i bought were really helpful and handy when i lived in my old place (a two bedroom, two storey town house) but now that i have moved to a much larger three bedroom single storey house, i no longer use it. for example; the nappy wrapper and the babybath - both were essential in our old place but in our new place we could have easily managed without them.

our baby monitor is a godsend - because although jelly is only one wall away, i seem to have built up an immunity to her crying, i can just sleep right through it (the crying usually just gets incorporated into my dreams). the monitor it good though because i can put it right next to DH's ear and he will wake up for her (and then wake me up to feed her). also during the day i can put it on if she decides to sleep and i can go and have a bath or get on the internet, etc, etc...

cltohes are definately something she had / has too much of. but in my defence she does wear all the clothes i buy, it's just that everytime my mum goes downtown she picks up something new. i gave some newborn stuff still with the tags on to someone who just had a baby ( no point keeping them, when i have my next one i'm sure nanna and myself will go just as crazy with shopping espeacially as i won't need any more big ticket items).

Great thread!

The worst things or things that I didnt use:
    Booties - Allegra was a summer baby so she didnt have anything on her feet and they just fell off. Now she wears cotton tights and shoes!

Pilchers - never used them and they were gorgeous wollen ones. We use disposables!

Bottles - I hate cheap bottles. They go all murkey after a few uses.. spend the a few extra dollara for good quality ones and they last and look better.

Things I have and LOVE:
    Nappy wrapping system. Mine is fab - I cant understand how people dont love it.. stores the nappies away. Who has time to walk and put every dirty nappy in the bin?

U shaped pillow - I use it for feeding still and also it great when she wants cuddles and she falls asleep on my lap

Blanks - we use every one we got given either as play mats, on the bed or in the car as extra wraps

Her mat (one with the toys hanging like gym mats) she spends hours on it and loves all the toys which we rotate.

Ooooh, we're yet to have our first bub but I'm so interested in reading all the tips in here! Keep it up girls and thanks heaps for the info!

1 - Too many fiddly going out outfits - I love to just dress her in wondersuits as they are so easy.
    2 - Talc and other lotions etc - don't really need any of these yet, only using a couple of things like top to toe bath and nappy rash cream.
    3 - Nappy bin - I got this as a gift but have only used it a couple of times. I find the disposal bags a lot easier and they just go in the normal bin.

Gigi is offline BellyBelly Life Member - Love all your MCN friends
    Add Gigi on Facebook

i would like to know, how useful are the various sorts of nappy bags? The compartments look good, but i'm worried then i would load them all up and end up with heavy bag (bad back i must consider). If you got desperate, could i use a beach bag (waterproof material lining). We're looking at lightweight prams/strollers (5 - 6 kg) and apparently you can't put the nappy bag in the storage basket when you have a newborn, or put the nappy bag on the handles (will tip the stroller over). What to do. What worked for YOU?

Fancy bedding - too hot in Brisbane for ANY bedding!

Newborn dresses for a baby girl - look awful and crinkle up around their waist, just a total PITA.

Expensive nappy bag - too big and too many "compartments" so I would put things in there, forget and never see them again. I ended up using a normal shoulder bag which worked just fine and I never lost anything again.

Can I go against the grain and just say that I LOVE our change table, baby bath and baby monitor? I can't hear Lucy when she's upstairs sleeping like atm and I'm downstairs in study.

I would agree with too many clothes though - all ours were given to us so it's not like we wasted money, but you find you have your faves and just wash and wear them again and again, and they really do grow so quickly.

Shellbabe Guest

I am with Cathy on the change table, bath and moniter as well.
    All three are constantly used.

Change table is the right height for me to change her and great storage for nappies etc.
    If I didn't have the monitor I would only hear her once she was in the full throws of crying - rather than knowing she is stirring before hand.

With the change table and bath - we just bought Ikea cheapies - no need to spend the big bucks some people ask for them though!

Only thing I regret buying so far is the Sounds of Silence CD - it is meant to be played loud and DH thinks we will wake the neighbours when I play it loud!
    The radio does the job for background noise.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast