Thread: Toy Storage

Default Toy Storage

Hi All!

Hannah is accumulating toys at a phenomenal rate (and she's only 2 and a bit months). I can see this fast becoming a problem in our household.

What do you guys do for toy storage? I've heard that some toy boxes can be unsafe (ones with heavy lids etc.). I'm just after a fairly cheap, safe solution...

Any ideas?

Ikea, Ikea, Ikea...LOL I know you are a fair way away from it, but I have gotten a few good ideas from there. A tall table/storage that Matilda pulls on top of herself all the time & its really light weight.... We've also got those plastic boxes on wheels and we wheel out a box at a time of toys. I picked up a few of them from the crazy clarks type store around here & I store them stacked up under her cot.

I have a large bookcase & the bottom shelf is baskets of toys for Matilda to pull out as she wishes. We have just given away 2 boxes of newborn toys, its a bit silly really because we have only bought her 2 toys in her life....and so much has been given to her! Its great, but hard to store. I hope that gives you some ideas.

Melinda Guest

I was just about to suggest those light-weight big plastic boxes on wheels. They are fantastic for toy storage!

We haev a "nest" of wicker linen baskets with lids that we use for all Olivia's toys......they are stuffed full. We have 3, and I "rotate" them (hide 2 baskets at a time in our guest room!) so that she gets delighted to find "long lost" toys, and we keep the plastic tat ratio to a minimim at any given time...........

Oh how I long for the days that I used to have a tat free tidy house............

We actually do have a heavy tox box with lid but we sit all their favourite toys on top of it and only once in a blue moon Kameron will actually open the toy chest to get somethign else out.

When I was a kid I used to have a toy chest that you could lock the hinges into place so the lid wouldn't fall down again.

Love

Yasin has a couple of old huggies nappy boxes for his toys but I keep meaning to get around to getting a proper toybox. Babies galore sells some with a gap in the lid so thier fingers are less likely to get slammed and if they get in it they have ventilation. I think that they lock open too.

Custardtart Guest

If you are going for the plastic boxes on wheels, don't get the cheaper ones as they crack around the rims quite easily as your baby grows into a toddler and starts to hang off them or bash them. This leaves sharp edges, I'm about to throw out all of ours and create an entire new storage system once the nursery is set up (hopefully in two weeks!)

Kerrie

katanya Guest

All Felix's toysa re scurently in a toy box, plastic tub etc, but it makes them messy and unaccessable. I am going to work on the steiner method, of putting them all in wicker paskets and on a open shelf and lettinghim chose what to play with and at the end of play we pack them up together..LOL that is my dream anyhow..he has too many toys I have decided!

We also store Aidyns toys in a large plastic box on wheels, though its getting to overflowing point now, so I think its time to put some away in storage.

Hi - have another baby - that way, each baby will only have half the toys that one had ...

When Cait was a wee one, I put a lot of her things on top of the wardrobe in those cube thingies. We kept a big dark cane basket in the lounge of the favourite toys as thats where she spent most of her time playing. It looked more like a furniture piece than a plastic cube. When she was about two - we had a bookcase with books at the bottom and the 'good toys' on the shelves and a toy box with everything else. Her old bed also had drawers underneath for more stuff. FOr her third birthday last December, she got so much stuff, I put most of it away and get out something new every month or so. Don't be afraid to put some stuff away and get it out when the person who gave it to you comes over.

Beware, soft toys breed. You might only buy one, but you will have about 170 within the first year.

Barb.

Juliette, I`m glad you`ve asked this question I`ve been thinking about a toy box or something for all of Matthew`s toys, some good ideas here

My g/f has a great toybox and I hope I can describe it okay. Its a large open thick plastic thing, that looks like a big pot plant holder? Even though it's not. I hope you all KWIM? Anyway, it cost $11 from Bunnings. She got a couple for $6 each as they were on special and they come in white and blue.

They are quite tallish, probably 60 - 70cm high? That's what I am going to get - although there are some great ideas here.