Thread: Transitioning out of the wrap

Default Transitioning out of the wrap

Our little girl is now 6months old and is getting quite strong and clever. At every sleep she gets wrapped and is given a dummy. She understands this means sleep and has been doing really well with it up until a month or two ago. Now she gets out of the wrap so quickly and pulls the dummy out and wakes herself up. Last night she completely unwrapped herself and was lying on top of her sheet and was cold. The other night she pulled her blanket over her head!

She CAN sleep unwrapped (in the car and pram) so i thought its about time to transition her out into a grobag.

Any advice on how to transition them out? I tried to just wrap her bottom half this morning but she frustrated herself to tear as she got more and more tired.

Help!?

Thanks Caro - so did you do any transition between the wrap to the grobag? or you went straight from full wrap to growbag??

Cant trust Ella's little arms

Caro - For 2 of her day sleeps i left one arm out but she couldnt get to sleep for 20mins and ended up frustrated. I wonder if this means she's not ready for a grobag....

Or perhaps they are nice and think that they feel snuggled by the special fabric...? Worth a try just putting her in one.

We put her to bed at 7.15 tonight and in the last 30mins she's cried 3 times because she's gotten out and pulled out her dummy. My thoughts were if her arms are out she would get use to controlling them with her dummy.

Ann

I too am still wrapping savanna. she is 8 months now and i really wanna stop wrapping her. she sleeps so well when she is wrapped. she is very strong and by morning time when she wakes up she has usually wriggled out of the wrap and is standing in her cot. i also do the double wrapping method. it works well too but i guess they need to learn to sleep unwrapped sooner or later.
    she can sleep in pram or car for ages without being wrapped. but when i put her in the cot unwrapped she will wake within 20 mins!!!
    i bought a swaddle wrap the other day but she just gets her arms out of it.
    ive got a couple sleeping bags so i guess i should try them but just worried she wont take to them.

ambz

I wrapped Darcy until 8 months and then we just went cold turkey. I wanted a grobag for her because she is a wriggler and won't stay under covers so I bought a cheapie to try first just in case - she HATES it. It is more frustrating to her than anything. SO when it gets really cold I will get her some fleecy sleepsuits instead that you put over their jammies.

There were a couple of nights at first she drove us spare pulling the dummie out, but she did just get used to it.

Good luck.

I'm wanting to stop wrapping too...Caty rolls around and gets unwrapped then wakes. We went cold turkey with her dummy and it took two days of crying but now she can go to sleep without it. My problem now is that she'll get her arms out of the wrap, roll a bit and knock the railings, which wakes her. Wondering what to do with that...

Ok maybe a silly question here but...Did you try it first for their night sleep or their day sleep...?

Ella's usually more tired in the evening so i wonder if its better to get her use to the grobag for her night sleep.

ChocolateCatty - did you wean her off the dummy because she was also losing it in sleep? I'm a bit nervous about getting her off the dummy - she relies on it so much to settle her.

Anyway one thing at a time for us...small steps. She lost a lot of weight last week so we're trying to get that sorted then it OUT OF THE WRAP!

Ann
    Last edited by luua; May 8th, 2007 at 05:17 PM.

savanna sleeps with a sleepright thingy as well. she has done so from birth. its the best thing ever!!! keeps her in the one position all night. only when she wakes and manages to get unwrapped does she crawl around the cot, but that usually isnt till when she wakes for the day (8 or 9am)
    its nice and snug and keeps her cosy too.
    i got mine from target. its got a little lamb soft toy attached to it (very cute) and it adjusts with velcro as she grows. i would recommend it highly for wriggly babies

ambz