Thread: Travel Cot for long term use

Default Travel Cot for long term use

Is it safe to use a travel cot for long term use, we`re probably looking at 6 - 9 months before Adrian can have Matthew`s cot.

Mark doesn`t want to buy another cot but is happy to buy a travel cot saying we can also use it when we go on holiday to Melbourne sometime this year so it`ll have two uses.

I`m just not sure, to me a travel cot is for short term use not as a daily useable item, I`m not sure why I think this way, perhaps it`s just the word 'travel' that gets my mind onto this thought pattern.

What are your thoughts?

Take Care

Dee

My opinion would be that it's not solid enough & might not be good for their back. I have no evidence to back that up though, just mu opinion

We bought a pram the other day with a travel bassinet...I asked if the bassinet could be used overnight, but was told that it didn't have a solid enough mattress...so I'm wondering if it's the same thing with travel cots.

Thanks girls for your thoughts.

Shannon - You`d think that would be the easiest way around it by moving Matthew into a bed but we have a couple of hicups, one is there is no way he`d stay in his bed for a day sleep, he fights it most days in his cot, the other problem is Matthew is still in our room.

Thanks Mads, that`s great to now it`s working out okay for you

Shannon - That`s the bonus of living in a house which is 100yrs old, lovely big bedrooms and high ceilings. In our room there is a 6ft fish tank, king size bed, cradle, cot, nursing chair, side dressers, wardrobe and still room to spare, just not enough room for another bed. Matthew will have to move in with his big brothers soon but we`re holding it off for as long as possible as we can see nothing but complaints about it even though the big boys are only here part time, in the meantime I have to clean up their very messy room which will take me months to do.

Hi all,

In working at a baby retail store, we dont recommend that travel/porta cots are used for long term use due to mattress and stability for want of a better word, it is apparently not recommended as its not great for chuildrens backs over a long period of time. I personally would buy or borrow another cot rather than use a portacot for more than a few weeks, unless on holidays etc... You can buy matresses that fit in them from baby stpres for arouns $35, but again, they aren't as good as a spring mat, or foam either...

As far as bassinettes go, the pram ones are recomended by Valco and Bugaboo, but nor steelcraft, so I guss thats ones personal choice.

HTH

Dee, long strory, but we used one for Charlie for about 2 months.....no problems at all......I did pad up the thin mattress a fair bit though......norti, but he slept beautifully in it with no apparent damage........

Quote Originally Posted by Deejoy17 View Post

Shannon - You`d think that would be the easiest way around it by moving Matthew into a bed but we have a couple of hicups, one is there is no way he`d stay in his bed for a day sleep, he fights it most days in his cot.
    Ohhh, you are so not alone with this one!!! I know just how you feel.. Its just not as easy as it sounds. Best of luck with it tho!

Thanx for starting this thread btw...I was wondering the same thing myself, as bubs may need a portacot for a short period....but i have changed my mind after reading some posts now!

I am using a travel cot for about 2-3 months until I am over the caesar and have moved the bedrooms around a little.
    However,, the one i am using has the newborn bassinnette in it,, as well as the changetable top on it too. I also have a tetra snuggle bed that i have put into it which in like a cushy bassinette insert with walls on it, so there is no way bubba will get a bad or sore back. After i move the befrooms,, bubba will go straight into the cot in another room,, but for the time being, will be in our room.

My SIL has her DD in a portacot from birth , she is now 4 mths old . No problems there.

My cousin used portacot from 6motnhs to 2 years, they just put a foam matress in there to make it comfy. the only reaon i wouldn't use one is cause i often have to pat DS to sleep and a portacot is very low so it would hurt my back.

I'm using a portacot for day sleeps, as Oscar sleeps in my bed at night. I actually lay him on a lambskin.
    It would be interesting to investigate if the bad back comes from THEN moving to a soft, springy mattress from a nice, firm surface. We sleep on a futon and our backs have never felt better upon waking since we got rid of the spring mattress about 2 years ago!
    Anyway, that was just a typing out loud. But, yes, we use one for day sleeps because we can't justify spending money on a cot (or even if we borrowed one, ours is a TINY house!) when the longest he spends in bed is at night with us.

I used a portacot with DS till he was 6 months, he started to stand up and rock it, it nearly fell over so I took him out of it and put him in a bed. One of my friends has used a portacot full time with all her kids and has had no issues. I personally wouldn't do it again, but each to their own.

Ellie

My eldest slept in a port a cot (if not in bed swith me, lol) from 4-15 months as I went back to uni and took bubba with me and Left poor DH at home. It was an easy option, we just bought a matress for it. I put all my bubs down for a sleep in the porty cause when we go away it isn't an issue to get them to sleep. DD is now 10 and has no back problems that we are aware of, she's a very athletic, active child.

Thanks girls for all your comments on this subject, I`m now thinking of maybe getting a travel cot then buying a good mattress for it and hopefully perhaps only use it for a couple of months and move Matthew into a bed in that time.

Mads - Out of curiosity what is the maximum weight for the bassinet? DH was saying Adrian could got into the bassinet part of the travel cot but he might be too heavy for it.

Dee,
    Umm I was going to keep this quiet but Eliza has been in a portacot for 3 months now, she was getting her skinny enough legs caught in the bars and fat enough not to be able to get them out. One night she had almost dislocated her knee!!. So she sleeps in the port a cot until I am convienced she will be able to go into a bed. Great thing is it lower and she cant climb out another issue with her very expensive cot that sits and houses the stuffed toys now!! lol.
    I think they are fine, there is no higher risk they may be a bit harder but go to Clarke Rubber and get them to cut some thick foam for the bottom and place a fitted sheet over it my girl she is tough and likes to sleep on hard surfaces like floors and has no problems in the port a cot.
    Bec