Thread: Travelling to Brissie

Default Travelling to Brissie

Just wondering, Maria will be 11 months old, but I have the chance to go to Brisbane for a week soon and I was wondering how you go about travelling in taxis etc. What do you do for the car seat, do I take my own, or is it easy to get around with public transport?

Where abouts are you going to be kitten? Some parts of Brisbane are very accessible by bus/train if you have a stroller.

I agree with Beck its so much easier to get around in trains & buses depending on where you are planning on going. Taxi's are okay. But you do have to book if you want a car seat & it costs heaps more. It is legal in QLD to hold a baby until they are 2 years on your lap in the back seat of the taxi, and I was okay with that when Matilda was in her sling, but now at this squirmy stage there was no way I was going to do that. When you call to book most taxi co's will encourage you to hold bubs on your lap.

I think I am staying at the Metro Hotel Tower Mill on Wickham Terrace, that is where DH has been staying the last few weeks that he has been working in Brissie.

Well you're basically in the heart of Brisbane. I wouldn't even consider taxis unless you're planning on being out late at night. Not sure where you're planning on travelling to, but Wickham terrace is not that far from the major train stations and there are bus services all the way through the city. You shouldn't have any trouble at all!

Wow Christy, I had no idea about taxis and it being legal in QLD to hold your bubba on your lap. I've avoided taxis a few times when I probably should have used them, simply because I didn't want to pre-book one with a baby seat or bring my own. Thanks for that!

LOL just coming in here to say the same thing!! The number of times I could have benefitted from using a taxi, but didn't because I thought I would need a carseat... D'oh!!

Sorry to hijack - does anyone know if this taxi rule is the same throughout the country? I am especially interested in NSW, Victoria and South Australia?

I'm pretty sure its the same in Victoria, Kirsty... not sure about the others though?

Sorry I don't know about elsewhere... I have a friend who works for yellow taxi's in Brissy thats why I know that one

You cannot carry a baby on your lap in Vic... Babies must be buckled into car seats!

I am guessing in QLD it's because it's really Touristy???

And I read somewhere that under one they must be in a car seat in NSW too (although not all taxi drivers will enforce this as I unknowingly travelled with bubs in carrier attached to me in NSW cause I knew the Qld rule but didn't realise it was different in each state.) I think I read it in Baby Love (so it may have changed in the last three years since my edition of the book but I don't know).