Thread: Trimming his claws!

Default Trimming his claws!

I am starting to have a lot of trouble trimming DS' nails. He wiggles and pulls his hands this way and that. I used to do it when he was having a feed when breastfeeding, but as soon as we weaned him I knew that wasn't going to work anymore because both my hands are full and his flap all over the place.

I would do it when he is asleep cept he is very quick to stir and once he is awake, well it's all over!

What do you do? And what do you use...a file or clippers? I have tried the nail file but didn't get very far with it.

TIA.
    LittleFig

have you tried peeling them after his bath when they're all soft?

I just use baby clippers when Jack is on the change table one hand at a time, and if he gets cranky i stop I dont force th eissue but most times we get thru both hands fine its the feet he gets crabby about

I used to tear them off after a bath too. And then I used baby clippers when he got older. I was always scared of nicking him with the clippers, but this has only happened twice in his life... and I think I cried more than he did!

I put on a dvd for her to watch. She is so distracted by the tv, she doesn't notice me chopping her nails too much. I also clean her ears and nose at this time too.

But want i want to know is why are they still razors ! even though they are as short as !!
    Oh, I wonder that too, Caro! I feel like I am ALWAYS cutting Natty's nails and she still scratches herself to shreds (she's got an eczema patch on her chest that she just wont leave alone )
    We use clippers. I can rarely do both hands in one sitting. I usually sing Twinkle Twinkle (her favourite) to distract her... And work very quickly!!! LOL.

Yeah, that is the other problem I have....I will do his nails and he will turn around and scratch me in the face.

I spend a bit of time trying to make sure I have trimmed the corners of his nails because they seem to be the jaggedy bits, but that can be quite fiddly and by then he is well and truly cross with me.

I have heard of people tearing or chewing them off when soft....wasn't convinced it would work but maybe I should give it a go.

Got buckleys of doing it on the change table...he is too busy pulling everything apart

I found with DD if I sit with her in between my legs with her sitting with her back against my tummy and I can cut them with no problems. She can see what Im doing and has no problem but if I do it any other way she cracks it.

Ooh, I might have to give that one a try, Tiffanny. (BTW your ticker pic is classic! What a cutie!)
    Littlefig, IKWYM about the corners. It is tough, hey. I found chewing Natalie's nails made them even rougher and more jagged, but it is always worth a try...

Ok, don't laugh, but I tried it tonight and it didn't work because I started to think that my teeth were too big and how it might look to the little man to see mum's gnashers coming at him like that. I got the giggles and couldn't do it.

Might have to try again another night when I am not such a loon

Baby nail files rock!