Thread: Tummy or Belly?

Default Tummy or Belly?

Hi Girls

What is the correct word for your stomach in Australia? I`m assuming it`s belly as DH has always thought I was odd calling my stomach - tummy but I`m a kiwi even though I came out to Aus with my family at 6 in 1980, I still have lots of kiwi ways and sayings, including pronunciation with vowels.

What got me thinking is I`ve taught Matthew where his TUMMY is, then I thought oh have I done the wrong thing perhaps I should be trying to change my ways and tell him it`s his belly, but that sounds foreign to me LOL

Is Matthew going to end up very confused?

Your thoughts would be appreciated

Take Care

Dee

My mum always said to us - only snakes have bellies So for me it is most definately tummy, except for a baby belly when you're pregnant

Thanks for that Sarah - so it`s not my funny Kiwi ways as Mark would say LOL

It is tummy in our house.....Olivia often tells me she has a "happy tummy" when she has eaten a lot of dinner, LOL!

Although DH calls his "stomach", and when I am pregnant I call it my belly.....

I think they are all pretty interchangable?

Tigergirl1980 Guest

I say belly, but I don't think it matters too much, he will understand eventually that sometimes there a a few words that mean the same thing.

we say both in this house, and both the kids understand is a being both a tummy and a belly.

Love

We use to say belly until Mackenzie came along and then tummy just came out when I started teaching her her body. I guess it just sounded cute when she says it! We still use both and she understands both.

I think I probably say tummy more than belly. It was my belly when I was pregnant.. I think I associate belly with something big? hehe. like beer belly?

Tallon has tummy time. And I've always said 'tummy ache'. Yeah I think I use tummy more.

We say tummy here...belly button is another thing. I can remember one time when Emmy was 18 months old and she was on one of the kiddies rides at a show and we were telling her to press the button on the little car so she proudly lifted up her shirt and pressed her belly button...lol....sorry..bit offtrack!!

Jo

Stormi Guest

We say "tummy" here. IF the kids are sick they always say they have a "tummy" ache. But then we call it a belly button, not a tummy button LOL. We also refer to "beer bellies" not "beer tummies".

Oh yes, definately belly buttons & beer bellies

I say stomach, and I pronounce it as such. Mark thinks I'm trying to be posh or talk like a Pom, but I'm not. I just like words pronounced properly. I hate the way people say stumick. Umm with the kids though we say either tummy, belly or stomach. Much as much in this house.