Thread: Tummy Sleeping-Help!

Default Tummy Sleeping-Help!

I'm sure there are threads about this but I couldn't find any so feel free to move me administrators!

My 4mth old Teagan has learned to roll-YAY! BUT....she has found that she is more comfortable to sleep like her Dad on her tummy. It is very cute but over the last 3 nights I haven't slept properly. I try and put her on her back once she is asleep but always manages to roll back on her tummy.
    I've seen those things that you can put them in to prevent rolling. Are they safe according to SIDS? Do I leave her and she will be fine? What has everyone else done?

Personally I would leave her be. All of my kids have been tummy sleepers as babies. Isla is about 2 weeks younger then your girls & she is on her tummy too. The way I see it is if they can get them self on to their tummy then they are pretty right. Just make sure there is nothing in the cot for her to get up next too & that she is on a nice flat/firm matteress with the bottom sheet tightly tucked in. Isla has been sleeping on her tummy for over a month now.

Matilda did the same & I left her. Once I knew she could roll both ways, I let her go.

Mine were/are tummy sleepers too!

Nothing I could do about it at all...

Mine was a tummy sleeper from 9 weeks and I figured if she could roll onto her tummy, she could roll off it.

Yeah, me too. I am pretty sure that the SIDS recommendation is to put them on their back, but if they roll onto their tummy it's ok. I think it's an issue when you put a newborn that can't roll on their tummies to sleep.

If you are really worried, invest in a breathing sensor monitor like Angelcare. It's worth every cent for peace of mind.

Thank you so much for the reassurance. I've made a bid on Ebay for the Angelcare monitor.

My babies were and are tummy sleepers. I'm with the other girls if bub is rolling on her own then she's old enough to sleep that way. Of course if you are concerned then get the sleep apnea stuff if for any reason to give you a sound nights sleep.

storm04 Guest

All mine slept on their tummy was so hard to stop them i would check on them every hour and move them and find them back on their tummy again an hour later!
    They could lift their head up so in the end i let them be

Fee Guest

Cooper has slept on his tummy (and side) since he was about 4 months old - nothing I could do to stop him! Was scary at first but then I got used to it.

Chelsea sleeps on her tummy now and i panicked soo much. I have a roll thingy...but i was told by my health nurse they are a no no...but i still use it. All though it does not help...Chels wriggles up the cot out of it and then turns!

I just let her go now.....she sleeps better if i dont try moving her on to her back all night...

I am pretty sure using the rolls or wedges etc are a no no once they can roll over because it can become a hazard if they roll in their sleep then can move away from the thing that meant to stop them from rolling.

I think there is one you can get that is like a velcro thing you wrap around the cot then strap them into place. But I think that is OTT.