Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tummy tub

Default tummy tub

Hi Im just wondering if anyone uses a tummy tub for their bub? DS is nearly 4 weeks and Im wondering if it is worth buying him one. We are using sink at the moment, but he's getting too big. We have no space to put a baby bath which is why the tub looked good. Just wanted some feedback from people that have used it.
    thanks xoxo

never used one.. but they look great!!!!!!! and not so big and bulky like the baths.

I didn't even know these existed until yesterday when I was reading the news online... Here is an article about them and there are a lot of comments...

Womb with a view: The TummyTub makes baby's bathtime a familiar experience | News.com.au Top stories | News.com.au

LOVE IT.

there are a couple of pics in my gallery of Molly Jane in hers during the early days.
    Now she mainly uses the big bath as its more fun, but she was in the TT last week and still enjoyed it.

Honestly i think it was one of the best things that i bought. we didnt bother with the stand thou, in the very early days we put it in a coffe table, later on (few weeks) i sat wit the tub between my legs and it was great.
    Great for going away with as well - we camped and she used it.

If you have any specific Q's feel free to ask

Sorry to Hijack, but I have been wondering for ages:

What is the difference betwen a tummy tub and a normal bucket? Could I use a small nappy bucket for the same effect?

I wish I'd known about them with Oskar as I would've bought one. I'm thinking it's not such a good investment now though as this is my last....but man they look great!!

Alioops, I'm not sure you'd get quite the same effect. The TT is shaped and rounded at the bottom so they can't slide etc.

Ali, Mum use to bath us in a bucket so i asked her the same thing.

The rounded thing is the main thing, it help baby curl properly at the bottom end.
    The other major thing is that the stuff they make buckets out of now is not the same as what they used many many years ago (lots less flimsy) and loads more chemicals.
    You would need a hospital grade bucket to make sure taht there is no leaching of chemicals into the water and thus into bubbas skin...

Worth every cent if you have a newborn.
    When we went camping i used it as i mentioned earlier, but use it for storage of all her MCN's on the way up, so space wasnt wasted.

We have bought one for this bub and can't wait to use it. We don't have room for a baby bath either.
    We have just bought the tummy tub without the stand and thought we would just use it on the dining table or on the floor of the lounge. Have heard lots of good feedback about them.

Another happy tummy tub user here! Jasper had his bath in it up till about 11 months. It is also a great water saver (handy here in the bush). I did find it difficult to wash/rinse his bottom region properly though in the tub...

Esme, love your DS name!!! (it's my DS name too)!!
    Ok, well we will get a tummy tub then, sounds like everyone is happy with theirs!
    SJ, I will forgoe the stand too, I think we'll just use the table and floor.
    Thanks for the feedback guys xoxo

Glad to hear you have decided to get one, we are big fans of them here also ! DD would sit happily in the tub for ages, I was quite amazed as she would never get tired of it. Plus you can use it anywhere, we have a hilarious photo of us having a roast dinner with DD at 4 months sitting in her Tummytub on the dining room table happily watching us! We were also able to take it away with us when we went on holidays and it helped keep the day to day routine really similar which DD loved.

We used ours from about the 4 week mark until about 10 months I think, at that stage the big bath was much more fun for DD who loved to splash, kick and play with toys in the water. I still put her in it everynow and again for a few months for just a little calm soak and she loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by alioops View Post
    What is the difference betwen a tummy tub and a normal bucket? Could I use a small nappy bucket for the same effect?
    Sammiejane has covered a few of the differences (I second the shape for comfort, safe grade plastic) but I thought I would add the stability factor. The tummytub design is fantastic when bub throws themselves around or stands up in the tub. Of course you don't encourage that and we would always sit DD straight back down but on the few occasions she leaned against one side or threw herself around in it, the tub was incredibly stable.

One other huge plus of the tub is that it uses heaps less water than a conventional baby bath, only a few inches and this is great from a water saving perspective as well as from a saving your back perspective. It is not very heavy to cart around when full of all the water you would need, this was a major drawback for a conventional bath.

I also think it helped DD strengthen her legs as she used to love to push up in the tub from an early age. The buoyancy in the tub helped her and she loved it.

We did get the stand, we bought ours on ebay so it came with the stand, but I don't think it is necessary... Keep in mind that they sell on ebay at close to retail price, good for a re-sell.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as we enjoyed ours.

i wasnt sure when i first saw them.. but im thinking i might get one... that way my DS (who will be 26 months when bubs is born) can watch and help a little more..

they are having them at the baby expo so im thinking ill have a look at them there and make up my mind..

so the stand you dont really need?? cuz i was thinking you had to buy it all together..

For those of you have used the TT for your bubs can you tell me the size of your baby when they could no longer fit into it comfortably?

I`m interested in the TT for our baby boy who`s due in June but since I have big babies I`m just wondering how long would I be using it for, DH seems to think it`ll only be a matter of weeks before baby boy will be too big for it.

NO way Deejoy17, MJ will still comfortably sit in it now, and as you can see from my ticket, she is almost 13mths old.
    I used it everyday for the first 6 months and then we started in the big bath every other day.
    More recently (from about 11mths) she is using the big bath predominantly.

You can buy them separately with or without the stand

I agree with JR's posts... we put the water on the garden after the bath, so not only water saving, but as we dont have a grey water system, its great way of recycling

paradise lost Guest

I loved our TTub (we didn't bother with the stand either), but we stopped using it at about 7 months because DD was so tall and would stand up and splosh everywhere, so i had to stand the TTub in the bath, and figured i may as well bath her in said bath! She was never "big" but she was always long - 53cm at birth and by 7 months she was about 74cm already. She's not actually 3 until Wednesday and she wears age 4-5 clothes!

I can't wait to use it again though and "even" for those 7 months it was totally worth the money.

Bx

Thanks Girls, so it looks like 6 - 7 months of use for the bigger/taller bubs like I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammiejane View Post
    LOVE IT.

there are a couple of pics in my gallery of Molly Jane in hers during the early days.
    Now she mainly uses the big bath as its more fun, but she was in the TT last week and still enjoyed it.

Honestly i think it was one of the best things that i bought. we didnt bother with the stand thou, in the very early days we put it in a coffe table, later on (few weeks) i sat wit the tub between my legs and it was great.
    Great for going away with as well - we camped and she used it.

If you have any specific Q's feel free to ask
    So, its safe to use the tub without the stand? At the moment the only thing putting me off this the cost of the tuba nd stand combined, but the tummy tub on its own would be manageable for us.
    Does it balance OK?
    Did you use it from newborn - I was relaly scared bathing DS as a newborn in the bath, is it difficult?

We have been using the tummy tub since bringing Noah home this week and he loves it! We have found it a bit awkward so make sure both DH and I bath him together. We didn't buy the stand either and don't really feel the need to. We have bathed him on the lounge floor and also the kitchen table. Having him higher up is a bit easier so we'll probably continue to use the table.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast