Thread: unsettled in the day

Default unsettled in the day

My baby has just turned three months. He has about 3-4 catnaps during the day that usually last anywhere from 20 mins to an hour. If I'm lucky, he'll have a 2-3 hour nap once a day if he lies on me. When he's awake between naps he's grumpy as much as he is happy and can often start screaming for no apparent reason. Being a first-time mum, I have no idea if this is normal behaviour. He feeds fairly quickly and can often start screaming during a feed or straight after. I'm feeling quite frustrated as breastfeeding took a while to master and it seems as if he doesn't enjoy it sometimes. Has this happened to anyone else????

Hi 1timemum and welcome!

My DS Alex was a very catnappy baby up until he was around 4 mths old. Became very frustrating for myself especially as I also had a toddler to deal with who wanted attention etc. It did improve of its own accord, almost like he figured it out himself. Incidentally I also had problems breastfeeding and Alex was always pulling off and crying and fidgity. I stopped breastfeeding at 4 mths (altho did continue to express for some time) and once he started taking the bottle his sleep patterns did improve during the day - coincidence or not I don't know?

Keep perservering with the breastfeeding, is there a lactation consultant or health nurse that you can see re this?

Its always so hard to know whats going on with our bubs.
    My DD is 11.5 weeks, just the last few days she has started having longer naps. She was also a cat napper having on average 45 min sleep. She still does but as I said the last few days she has started haing 1-2 naps a day that last from1.5-2 hrs! She started doing this all on her own.

The thing is you said your son can be grumpy when he's awake so I think maybe he needs more sleep. I didn't worry too much with Ashleigh because she'd always wake ready to play and smiling and kicking around that there was no way i could settle her, although I did try for a while cause i was told by "experts" that they have to sleep longer but she would just cry and then she'd be due for a feed and we wouldv'e wasted alot of time. If your son seems happy I don't see a prob getting him up, maybe just put him down after a shorter play? I do think 20mins does sound bit short, is this when he tends to get grumpy? Do you try and resettle him and what effect does it have?

In regards to the feeding, maybe he is more sensitive to wind and could that be really upsetting him? I know occasionally Ash will be really upset during a feed and I will stop and hold her upright for a few mins patting her back and often this will settle her ready to continue.

Maybe ask ABA for advice on the BFing and ask you MCHN for some advice? Just remember though that all babies are different and you will gets lots of advice from experts but you should do whatever works for you and your baby.
    Good luck.

maggie Guest

HI DS is 12weeks and is a catnapper, sometimes he is happy during the day, but if he is overtired and needs more sleep, wow look out, he is so upset and unhappy, that is when i try to get him to have another sleep, but this can be hard.. I am also BF, but i do slip in the odd bottle of formula.. good luck, i am hoping that my DS gets better with his day sleeps , i am thinking of going to sleep school...

Our little Ella used to cry straight after or during a feed if she has wind/gas. Otherwise boob milk usually settles her but if she has gas NOTHING settles her.

Since we've found a solution for the gas she's been sleeping and feeding so much better (day and night)

Its just a thought... hope it helps.

ann

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think he has been crying in the day because he's not sleeping long enough or often enough. I tried to resettle him when he woke as soon as I put him down today. I ended up having him sleep on me for nearly 3 hours. Not terribly convenient but at least he slept. I hope they get to an age when they have set sleep times during the day and get used to going down at that time. Does anyone know if this happens?
    Also how many sleeps are they supposed to have in the day? He's pretty good at night so i'm not too worried, but he used to have 2 three hour sleeps in the day.
    Maggie --> sleep school sounds like a good idea. I've heard good things from others. Let me know if you go and if it's helpful. Do you have any tips for when you're trying to get him down and he's grumpy?
    Shellbell3 --> I think he does suffer from wind. Our paed also thinks he might have some reflux so we give him mylanta after some feeds (when he screams) which seems to go okay
    Gabysmum --> what were your DS's sleep patterns like after 4 months? Do most babies get better at daysleeps at 4 months? Or is it random?

I'm a teacher - so I'm struggling with lack of routine at the moment!

Quote Originally Posted by luua View Post
    Our little Ella used to cry straight after or during a feed if she has wind/gas. Otherwise boob milk usually settles her but if she has gas NOTHING settles her.

Since we've found a solution for the gas she's been sleeping and feeding so much better (day and night)

Its just a thought... hope it helps.

ann
    What was the solution for the gas?

Rylee is another catnapper - I can set my watch to her - 45 mins and not a minute longer so she is obviously only getting through one sleep cycle. I have tried on numerous occastions to try and resettle her back to sleep but to no avail. The other thing is she is getting harder and harder to get to sleep during the day - grizzling and screaming - I walk her round hte house in the pram sometimes this works sometimes it doesn't, I am waiting for the day she gets into more of a routine as well. She is a breastfed baby - I told my paediatrician yesterday and she said it was normal and some babies don't sleep at all during the day - also for some reason breastfed babies are harder to get to sleep - don't ask me why???? Laurin

Thanks Boo Boo - that's reasuring.

For gas you could try some cooled boiled water or there are infacol drops you can buy, they work by doing something with the air bubbles to make them pass easier. You usually give them just before a feed.

Have a read in the Colic, Reflux & Teething forum There are heaps of ideas there for wind & colic relief.

1timemum, my son went through a similar period. He was sleeping normally at night, feeding then returning to sleep with no problems but during the day ... cripes.

It wasn't related to wind or anything else. He wasn't in pain. I think he used to get overtired and wouldn't settle. I was seeing all the tired signals such as eye-rubbing but the minute you put him down to sleep, he would start screaming.

The only ways I could settle him were by going for a walk in the pram or wearing him in the sling. At least he would rest and we both got a break from the screaming. I was exhausted though and found it very hard going.

Eventually, this period passed and around the six month mark, he started going down for a nap in the morning and a nap in the afternoon with no problems. I find now it is rare that he has a big scream. Usually it only happens if we have been out and he has missed his sleep.

If you find that you can't identify any physical reason for the screaming, your little one may be going through something similar. If so, hope this helps a little ... at least you will know you aren't alone.