Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unsure about having number 2

My two munchkins are not quite 3 years apart and i will admit, I have found it harder the second time around. Although this is probably due to issues prior to DS's birth, IVF etc.

My pregnancy was much harder this time too - I was more tired and generally had more aches and pains, ms was worse etc.

I found it really hard the first few weeks balancing the two and felt quite guilty about DD missing out on so much of my time for quite a while.

The other thing you need to consider is how much time a newborn takes up, particularly if they are unsettled like DS was in the first few weeks. It was HARD work and I felt like I didn't get any time with DD. For you it would be harder because Rochelle would still be quite young and would need a lot more of your time than my DD did at almost 3 yrs.

Things are much easier now but he still wakes regularly during the night (and I don't have a problem with this, babies are supposed to wake to be fed) so I think you need to be prepared for the fact that most babies do wake overnight for quite a while and you are very fortunate that Rochelle is sleeping through at such an early age.

But at the end of the day, I wouldn't have it any other way and would definitely NOT want a bigger gap than we have (we wanted our children to be closer in age but life had other plans for us ).

Hi Catherine!

How exciting that you're thinking of number two! Who could blame you after having such a wonderful bub like Rochelle! As you know I have a three year age gap between my boys, this was my choice as it took me a long time to feel ready physically and emotionally to have another bub (not Joel's fault, he was a great bub who slept really well at night too). I found pregnancy the second time around not nearly as bad as I thought it would be with a toddler, I'm not sure how it would be with a baby though. I had less m/s, but I did feel tired more than the first time.

Like you said, it is such a short time of your life and it is so worthwhile. Do you have someone who can help you if you end up really sick again? I think that would make all the difference for you.

Good luck!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12