Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Urgent help with settling 5 week old

Hi everyone

Thanks for all your wonderful advice. I have now put to use all of your suggestions, and some of them have worked!! I think though that maybe it was a combination of a 6 week growth spurt, weather of 30 to 41 degrees for a week, and reflux that made him so unsettled. The last few days he has been much better. We have 2 more 40 degree days coming up, which I am not looking forward too, particulary as we have to go in the car for my 6 week check up with the obgyn. He just seems to get so hot in his car seat, no matter how high we have the air con on. Does anyone have any suggestions on this?

I don't have any suggestions myself but will be watching for any answers as DS ends up soaking wet in his, and we don't have the heat you are having. That must be horrid.

Good luck for the upcoming hot weather. Hope your little man deals with it ok.

Hey EJE, I've been wondering how you've been going!

As you know, my DS was the same for the first 3 weeks but he's just getting better and better. Still not perfect during the day, but we're getting there.

We've had some really hot, humid days too and it's pretty rough on the bubs, especially when they are wrapped to sleep etc.

DS is a very hot and sweaty bub and most of his 9 weeks have been spent in a nappy and singlet or just a nappy! All those cute clothes going to waste...

I think if you're going to be in the car for a while, put the AC on and strip him down to his nappy if need be. You can always dress him again before you get him out if you really need to.

EJE - my DS is a hot bub too and used to be very hot in his carseat. We put a thickish wrap over the window to stop all of the sunlight coming though (even though we have really dark window tinting). Seems to have helped a lot.

Speaking of window tinting, it helps a lot to keep the car cool. So worth the investment to keep the little one cool.

HTH

Celsie. xoxox

That's a great idea actually Celsie.

You can also get those window sox for the back windows too. Reminds me I should probably dig ours out and put them on, haven't used them since DD was a bit older.

I know some people don't like them because they do limit your vision through the back windows, but I didn't find them too bad.

EJE. glad you got things sorted out.
    I just wanted to say that a swing was a life savor in our house as well.
    ANd also, dont worry about bad habits. Until Aiden was about 8weeks old, the only way i could get him to sleep at night was with me sitting him, and him laying on my chest. They are to little to form bad habits like that, to think logically about their actions and reactions.
    All they know really is happy and sad. If they are sad, then we need to make them happy/settle them, and i just did what it took at the time. Now, Aiden is generally a good sleeper, and settles well on his own.

Debbie- loved your summary about them really just knowing happy and sad at this stage. Made me smile. Was a great description of how babies are, and that is really going to help me when I am settling him. Look forward though to my little man settling more and more on his own like your Aiden.

Celsie- Thanks for the window suggestion- will definately use it on Friday when we have to venture our in 40 degree heat to visit the doctor.

Willow- good idea about just putting him in the car in just his nappy. I am sure that is all he will end up wearing for the next few days whilst it is unbearably hot.
    We have also decided that we are going to pay the mega bucks in costs to park in an undecover park on Friday ( rather than on the street for free) so that the car will stay that little bit cooler. When we get back to the car I am going to sit an icepack in DS's car seat for a few minutes to cool it down a bit. Other than that I think he my just have to end up a little sweaty, and have a few extra breast feeds to combat the heat fromthe car seat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12