Thread: Very bad Teething- & not sleeping help

colleeg Guest

Default Very bad Teething- & not sleeping help

Hi there, my 11mo is getting his top two teeth and the other two at the bottom (making 4 at the bottom) and possibly more, he is sooooooo grumpy wingy and waking up 3 more times during the night. He is offered the bottle but doesnt want it, most of the time he will go back to sleep after being comforted but its wearing us out. We can hear him over the monitor winging. He has been getting temps of around 38.7 panadol just doesnt seem to be cutting it.

Help???

I'm sorry to hear he is having such a rough trot with the teeth.
    Try freezing some pieces of apple if you think he may bite on them. Or distractions like the bath or take him for a walk around the block in the pusher. At night maybe take him for a drive in the car and it might put him to sleep for you.
    Keep the panadol up if he really needs it, but you could try giving him a cool wet facewasher to play with instead.

Big hugs for you! Mason got 4 teeth in two days and it was really hard so I feel for you and DH.

I guess you are using bongela or similar. Sometimes Matthew would like sucking on a frozen teething ring and that would be enough to send him to sleep. We had a rotten period at 11 months too.. and it lasted about a month! Not to scare you! If the high temp lasts I'd taking him to the gp just to be reassured. Matthew's top two took ages to come through - poor little guy. Hope he gets back to normal soon.

Brauers teething relief also seems to help pretty well.
    We also used to wet down Aidyns dummies and then freeze them. We'd have to constantly rotate them though, as his hot mouth would warm them up within a minute. But he loved it and would stop crying every time he had one... and sometimes that is enough for them to relax enough to drift back off to sleep.

When panadol doesnt bring down Aidyns temp, I use Nurofen for Children. But this is only when he's really in pain with a high temperature. You also have to give it to them with food (or a bottle maybe?).
    As Nell said, if his temps still arent going down it may be best to see a Dr about it anyway JIC.

I hope it improves soon... teething is rotten!! Aidyn used to cop it so much when his teeth came through, raging temperatures - even a heat rash from getting such high temps, it was awful

colleeg Guest

Hi guys i love the dummy idea we have a few lying aroud so it is worth a shot for sure.
    I took him to the GP, he said his throat was a bit sore, but the temp could be related to either, although some people say high temps arent related to teething?

his second top tooth has broken though! and the one next to it seems to be just broken though too, sooo do you think all this grizzlyness is relatedto an outburts of teeth?

Its hard to say... but if he has a sore throat too, then he is probably feeling doubly rotten.
    And if he has just had a few teeth break through, then it does seem more than a coincidence that he has been so grizzly lately!
    I have heard people say that teething doesnt cause high temps, but in my experience I really think they do... as Aidyn would constantly get high temps when his teeth were coming through. (but not with any of his molars, thankgoodness!)
    I have also heard that teething can lower their immune systems a little bit, so it may be easier for them to pick up little bugs etc, which can cause the high temps, or other sickness.
    But I dont know if there's any proof of that, its just what I've heard...

Brauers also works well for us. Kynan has his top 2 teeth coming through ATM and something that really helps is his Gummy. He's had it for a few months but since he never took to dummies he's only just figured out how to use it.