Thread: Very Scared Fontanelle And Ridge Problem

Default Very Scared Fontanelle And Ridge Problem

All babies have fontanelles as we know and are meant to close around the one year mark, but my Son Callum is 9 1/2 months and his is closed. My nurse picked this up and also told me it isnt meant to close yet. Then she said that the ridge on his forehead has closed or hardern and that isnt meant to of happen. Now the reason she gave me after I asked what it meant, was that if the ridge harderns to fast then the skoll and brain cant grow. She told me to make an appointment with GP which I have, but its not till Monday, as she thinks it needs to be looked at as he might need U/S.

I came home and looked on the Internet and found some thing called SAGITTAL SYNOSTOSIS and it pretty much said the same thing that the brain and skoll cant grow and the skoll would need to be open to let the brain grow, which means op on the ridge of his head and long time in hospital. I can evern begin to know how the hell im going to cope with that. Has anyone else had this or know of some one who has. Please help!!

Missy - I'm not sure of the prob sorry, but be careful about looking stuff up on the net, it only tends to freak you out unnecessarily. Just talk to your gp - I'm sure all will be ok. He will refer you to a paed if needed. I'm pretty sure Lucie's fontanelle was closed by that age too - and she's fine! Don't worry yourself just yet.

Yeah - I'm sure Jenna's fontenelle was closed, or almost closed by this time.
    Soph is right - wait until you see the dr before getting too worried. Everything could be fine! Yours wouldn't be the first nurse to cause some poor mother to panic about nothing!
    hmm - I wonder if my old MCHN moved to Sydney in your area? She was totally awful at this sort of stuff!!!

Hi I ended up getting to see another DR today and he said that yes the fontanelle has closed but was more consernd with the ridge. Callum is having x ray tomorrow at 10.30 so will know more then.

Thanks for the kind words

i hope everything works out in the end with Callum.
    Good lUck

Good luck tomorrow Missy. I'm in Sydney, too if I can do anything to help let me know.

Good luck tommorow Missy - hope that your little boy will be OK

Hey Missy, I hope everythings ok with your little boy.

I know Louis' fontanelle was closed up early but they said they would just keep an eye on it and as long as his head keeps growing he would be fine. Not sure about the ridge....

Good luck - let us know how you go!

Just wanted to say we'll be thinking of you tomorrow (well actually today) Missy, hope Callum's scan goes well! {{{hugs}}}

Thinking of you Missy. Hope all goes well. Lots of love to CAllum xoxoxo

Good luck - When my DD was born the paed told me her fontanelle was quite small, which could mean that it would close early and the ridges would fuse - I got so worried, but after another checkup after a few weeks they decided she was fine.

Hope everything goes well

Thnkingof you today missy... I hope all goes well and you get the answers you need...

Good Luck and best wishes

mel

Hi all

Just letting you all know that yes its closed but they said all was normal. They were looking at the ridge and said its closed as well but seemed ok. Im so happy. Thanks for your support.

Missy - thats fantastic news!! Woohoo!!

Nat

Where in syd are you????

Glad your little boy is okay. I'm in the Sth Western suburbs hun - near Liverpool. Where are you?

Hi Nat

Im near Seven Hills.

Not that far from you!!!