Thread: Very unhappy bub, help!

Default Very unhappy bub, help!

I think Emma must be sick or something. She has cried most of the afternoon, & she just doesnt do that. And she is refusing to feed I dont really know what to do. Normally the booby fixes everything! She normally feeds 3 hourly through the day, but today went 4 hours, and now it has been 5 hours. She is sleeping ATM. That is the other thing, she doesnt normally sleep much through the day, but when she hasnt been crying today, she has been sleeping. I'm trying not to worry too much, but its just not like my girl at all.

Any ideas on what could be going on would be of great help! Maybe I just need some reassurance....

Kirsty77 Guest

Linda

Have you taken her temp? She might just be feeling off colour. If her temp is a little high you could give her some panadol to reduce it.I'd personally let her sleep. She'll wake when she gets hungry. She could also be teething.

Aarrghh - I hope she isnt teething yet!! Yep, I'm letting her sleep, I guess you are right, she will wake when hungry. About the temp....I went to take it earlier but the thermometer has a flat battery 8-[

DH is going to go to SILs to borrow a thermometer now. I dont think she has a temp, but I'll feel better if I check it properly.

Melinda Guest

Checking her temperature is a good idea and give her a little bit of panadol if it is raised as this will help to lower it. She may well be coming down with a bit of a bug or a cold or something like that.

Like Kirsty said, I'd let her sleep if that's what she needs to do. If she's a bit unwell, she needs that extra sleep to help fight off whatever little nasty she has brewing. Whilst she's awake, keep offering her the boob to push the fluids and nutrients through.

When in doubt, a visit to the GP is always in order! Even if it's just to reassure you and the GP says she is fine!

She's still asleep. It's now been almost 6 hours since her last feed. I think I will take her to the GP Mel if she is still like this tomorrow. I realise every Mum must feel this way, but its all I can do not to bawl right now. Sorry for being such a big sook

Kirsty77 Guest

I totally understand Linda!Gem has thrush around her nappy area and I'm totally freaking out as well!I'm even taking the day off work tomorrow!

I hope Emma is better tomorrow.

Thanks Kirsty - I hope Gem's thrush clears up too

Melinda Guest

You're not being a sook Linda! It's pretty scary when this happens the first time and you don't know what's going on!!!

oh linda,it is awful when your bub is sick or is crying and you dont know what it is,from a nurses point of view,take her temp first,if she has a temp above 37 please give her panadol and keep her fluids up,get her checked by dr and keep her cool.if her temp is ok it could be teething or just a bad day,they do have them and for no apparent reason.if this does continue i strongly earge you to get her checked out
    i am thinking of you both and i am sending all my happy healthy vibes her way,let us know how she is going
    nikki

Thanks so much for the support girls. DH went & borrowed the thermometer & her temp is fine. She is sleeping so soundly ATM. It has been6 1/2 hours since her last feed. She still isnt dressed (she screamed so much after her bath DH just wrapped her with her nappy on because she was going to make herself sick she screamed so hard. So I'll have to dress her soon, maybe she'll have a feed then. I think I will have her in bed with me (kick DH out because he's scared of squashing her LOL) just so I can keep an eye on her...

I'm sure everythings fine, but it is such a worry. Pup is only snuffly and I was a bit pannicky today. BTW, i think GPs expect us new mums to run to them everytime our bubs develop a rash, have a cold, look off colour etc etc...and they don't seem to mind!!

Hayseed

Hey Linda, how's she going today & how did she go last night?
    It could just be that she got over tired & couldnt settle herself!?

I hope all is better now!!!

Thanks for your concern guys. Well I feel a bit silly now...She had a really good feed at 10pm, followed by a big long cuddle (for my benifit not hers LOL) She slept perfectly until 4am, had a feed then came into bed with me at 6.30am and fed & played. Just like every other morning. She is happy and smiley & I feel like a goose 8-[ But I'm just glad she is OK. You might be right Tracey, she probably got overtired. She just doesnt normally sleep much at all through the day, maybe this is a bit of a transition time?....

Thanks again girls for all your help!

Dont feel silly...
    One day I had planned to meet a few friends & their kids at a park...
    I waited foir 3 hours keeping Maddy (age about 6 months) awake thinking they'd arrive any moment (they were waiting for their bubs to wake), so we finally arrive at park, Maddy started vomiting... I just wiped it up & carried everything out to where we were going to sit, sat down, Maddy was rollking around & next minute started screaming & would not settle...
    I threw everything in the car & raced to my GP, thinking she'd swallowed a bee & it had stung her (It was blood curtling screaming!!) Totally inconsolable...
    The GP looked (rushed her in, prior to everyone in waiting room) I was a teary mess, he said give her panadol & take her home, keep an eye on her!
    We pulled up at home, I walked into her room, she put her arms out to her cot & was instantly quiet, I put her down & she slept 5 hours! She was just SO over tired whilst waiting for others!! NOw we say "We will be here & here & this time, come if ya want!"
    I also learnt with Maddy that if it is dinner time at 6pm & she was still asleep at 7, not to wake her as she would scream for hours & I'd get only a half drunk bottle anyways & she'd go staright to bed!
    I then let her sleep & if she waked at 8 or 9 I'd give her full bottle then & no probs... It just isnt worth it, as they really need the sleep!

Even Indah slept from 9am til 12 yesterday & my Mum was waiting for her to wake so she could go shopping...

Glad all is better, dont worry about feeling silly... You just love her!!!! That's not a bad thing!!!

I have felt exactly the same Linda, don't worry!!
    Jack has had some awful days too, where he will only have 1/2 of his bottles, screaming unless sleeping and I ws a total wreck!! 8-[
    But the next day, was fine, just like Emma!! And we know that they are not themselves..
    And I guess they have bad days too, just like us
    Glad she is better :flower:

P.S: When my little man is overtired, he screams the house down and it takes a while to settle him to sleep!! :sleeping: