Thread: Vomiting after feed?

Default Vomiting after feed?

Hello All

Dd was a fantastic feeder so I never had any issues with her at all. My new Ds, Alex, on the otherhand is different. It seems like after every feed (he is breastfed) he brings some back up and quite often this occurs 1/2 hr to an hr after the feed. It is a substantial amount too.

I have tried limiting the time he is fed each time as he is a greedy bugger to see if this reduces the vomiting but that hasn't worked. I am feeding on demand and also notice that regardless of whether he vomits or not he is still hungry every 2ish hours - but if he is vomiting up the excess I would have thought he is full.

I am very confused, is there anything I can do to reduce the vomiting?

My DD#1 was a vomiter... She was formula fed & she would vomit what seemed like heaps right up until her next bottle... She was a really happy bub & slept soundly fromn a week of age all night..
    I was told she was just a vomity baby? It happened right up until she was about 8 months... I was living with Mum & Dad at the time & we used to put a sheet down as at 3 mths, she would roll & roll & vomit each time she rolled to her tummy, I had to change her cot sheets every day due to vomit!
    She never complianed though & the MCHN, said that possibly the little flap at the top of her eusophagus (Spelling?) was not working properly & was therefore letting a bit of spew out each time...
    But as Maddy put on weight & didnt complian they left it & she is now a very healthy & happy 7/8 yr old!!!
    I remember having to carry spare clothes everywhere for her coz of it...

Indah rarely spews!

Melinda Guest

Jacob was also known as a 'happy chucker'. He vomited HEAPS until he was around 6 months of age when it settled right down. He would need to wear a bib every waking moment due to the amount he vomited, and we also had to put a cloth nappy under his head in his bassinette and cot or else we'd be changing the sheets multiple times a day as well! We also had to put cloth nappies in his pram etc - anywhere he was basically (on the floor for tummy time etc - you name it!).

Jacob thrived well and there wasn't a problem with him not growing - he was simply just a vomity baby (as was I apparently!). I know it can be pretty hard work when you're changing clothes/bibs/sheets all the time, but it does pass in time.

My daughter was a spewy baby...in fact, it's just settled down lately,and she's 8 months old. It was a bit of a surprise, as our son always kept his meals down. She was b/fed first, and then formula fed, and we've been very gratefull for the 2-dozen cloth nappies we own to catch it all! Despite her vomiting, she is a big baby! It seemed like she was throwing up more than she was drinking (and she rarely drank a whole bottle either), but she's put on lots of weight, consistently, regardless. So, it's just been a matter of LOTS of changes of clothes, and LOTS of washing!

However, there are a couple of medical conditions that can cause extreme reflux, and you should probably talk w/ your CHN or GP about when/how, etc your baby is vomiting, to rule out these things. Otherwise, it is quite common.

I had a happy chucker with Mason too. They do grow out of it eventually but it is frustrating.
    Don't reduce the amount of his feeds, just get used to going everywhere with 10 bibs and a towel or 2

Thanks everyone for you advice, I suppose I have to accept the inevitable - I will be constantly covered in spew for the next few months - aaarrgghhh!!!

angelfish Guest

My first baby was very spewy, he vomitted after every feed and at apparently random intervals between feeds. We usually went through about six outfits a day (him) three or four outfits (me), not to mention bedding, bibs and "chuck rags". Sometimes I was convinced he was throwing up more than he had drunk. I really hated it, especially when I would shower, wash the spew out of my hair, dress in clean clothes, put him in clean clothes, walk out the door with two minutes until the bus was due, and guess what he'd do just as I was getting out the front gate?

It pretty much petered out once he learned to sit up - apparently that's quite common. So you might well be constantly covered in spew for the next few months, but just think, at least it's just milky spit up and not repulsive adult vomit!

BTW, limiting Alexander's feeds could well make the situation worse, because you may end up giving him mostly foremilk (watery) and not enough hindmilk (fatty). If this happens, he might start drinking too much because he's hungry (not thirsty) and this could make him less settled and more spewy. If this is the case, you could try only giving him one breast per feed, so that he'll "finish" it and get the full range of milk. Also if you have a forceful milk let-down (ie milk gushing everywhere!), it might possibly help to take him of for a moment when the let-down happens, catch the milk in a towel or cloth nappy, and re-attach him once it has subsided a bit).

Alternatively, you could just tank him up and then hand him to your least favourite interfering relative to burp

Fire Fly Guest

I to had no worries with my first daughter, but DS was so so different. He is breastfed to but after ever feed used to bring up what i thought was the whole feed. I was pretty concerned but was assured that some babies do this. He is 6 months old now and still brings up a little bit but i usually have a bit of warning now like a little burp, lol the next one usually contains the milk.
    I learnt to after a feed to keep him layed down for some time to allow his tummy to settle or lay him on the floor straight away. I never went and changed his bottom straight after a feed cause the pressure on his tum would cause him to vomit. Its freaky stuff but just take it easy with him and he will settle.
    Even now i wont sit him up straight away because of that pressure on his tummy.
    Obvioulsy if its quiet severe you should ask your clinic nurse (if she's any good) or talk to your GP. Might put your mind at ease to do this anyway.