Thread: Vomiting bug

Default Vomiting bug

Have been up since 1am, Lucie, my 8.5 month old has caught the spewy bug. She had nothing left to spew the poor mite and has just been retching. This morning she has managed to drink about 50ml juice and a few teaspoons of rice cereal and water and a few nibbles of dry toast. Should I just avoid formula and stick with that for today? Will take her to the docs anyhow. She seems ok now though but i thought to perhaps avoid dairy for a day or so?

Wheatie, As long as you can get Lucie to keep some water or even juice in that will help her. I wouldn't even bother with formula atm if she is only bringing it back up. As long as she can keep some liquid in you will avoid dehydration. Do you have ice blocks?? If so give her them to suck on. You can get ice blocks that replace electrolytes in her body. You can grab them from Woolworths and the like.

I hope that Lucie is feling better real soon. Goodluck today at the Dr's.
    We have had the same bug going around up in Sydney too.

You poor thing, and poor little Lucie. Lindsay was that age when he got his first tummy bug. All the books I had recommended stopping formula for the duration because it can encourage intolerances apparently, but check with your doctor about that. Like Trish said, just keep her hydrated with anything you can get into her and don't worry so much about solid foood ATM, just let her have what she wants, because they do seem to know what they can stomach IYKWIM? and definately take her to the Doctor just to make sure she is not dehydrated or anything, because there is really nothing much they can do to stop it unfortunately.

I hope she gets better for you soon.

Thanks heaps for the quick responses guys. Will ring the doc at 9am. She is sleeping a lot, which i guess is what her body needs. And she hates formula at the best of times so i think she will be happy for the break!

HI, hope that Lucie is feeling better soon Soph

awww its horrible to see them go through that, I hope Lucie is feeling better. With the formula, after a day I started reintroducing it to Matilda at a half dilution so that her body would get used to the lactose slowly. I even made ice blocks with fruit & a small amount of diluted formula. Jelly is a great way to replace lost fluids as well and giving her easily digested foods, like rice cereal and mashed potatos and those sorts of things. I personally think Matilda loves to get gastro so she can have Jelly as thats the only time she gets it LOL!

Kirsty77 Guest

Oh no Soph, poor Lucie!Gemma has just gotten over that gastro bug that has been doing the round in our town. Gem only takes formula though but the doc said water is best obviously and only in small amounts.Gem went completely off solids and just drank.I just gave her fluids as often as I could andas often as she could manage.Hang in there and make sure you get her to the doc to make sure shes not dehyrated.

I would skip the drs and head straight for the Base (saw your a lismore person too...HI). My four year old had gastro last october and I waited all day to get into the drs and the first thing the dr said was she is going to hospital. Its mainly as a precaution due to their little bodies.

Try and get as much water as possible into her, defiantly no forumla/breastmilk as it will bounce off her stomach and come straight back up. Ice on her lips (not fro too long) might get some extra fluids into her.

What drs office are you heading to? GMC?

Thank you so much for all your responses!

Yummymummy - Yay someone from Lismore!!! And you are pg too! I got into see Dr Stanwell at the Lismore Clinic this am. She is great. She said pretty much to keep doing what I am doing and lay off formula till tomorrow at least. She also said to try gastrolyte but Lucie won't have a bar of it so I'll stick with juice.

Lucie is drinking some juice and I am syringing her some too. She is also eating rice cereal and water - I'm giving her just a bit every few hours. She hasn't spewed since 5am which is great. Looks like she might have a touch of diarrhea now though. I'll keep taking things easy with her today and then try her on a bottle tomorrow morning provided she doesn't spew in the meantime. She is happy too - sleeping a bit more than usual but otherwise chirpy and crawling around. Man that pooh smells though!

Soph

It was a relief to find another Lismore mum (actually im near the hilltop pub in Goonellabah so thats not really Lismore), I think we are only 6 weeks apart. Might see you at the Base ante-natal clinic one day. I'll keep a look out for your little ones gorgeous face.

LOL @ the gastrolyte...my DD loved the stuff.....I wanted to throw it all up when I had it. Its good she is taking food, thats a big good sign. If you give her formula agin tomorrow and she brings it back up just hold off for a little longer it might be her tummy trying to get rid of all the yukky bugs.

Dr wise...im at GMC and see Dr Cebola, who is awesome and is excellent with children (she bulk bills them). Im still newish to Lismore (been here for 13 months from Ballina) and still have no idea were everything is! Dh had to tell me were the other big drs office was (which is the clinic your talking about) about 3 weeks ago. I know were woolies (central: i refuse to go to the square one) and where the square is and yeah thats bout it!

Wow Yummy mummy I am new to Lismore too - only been here since Jan from Brisbane. And yeap we probably will see each other at the ante-natal clinic! I am at Woodlawn actually, yeap the school. DH teachers there and we are living here ATM, currently on the look out for a place to rent in Ballina though.

Lucie isn't keen on drinking much currently, I'll get DH to try when he gets home, but she is happy and appears to be ok so I won't stress too much. She had about 2 tbs rice cereal around 2pm.

Oh and I shop at Woolies central too so I might see you there! Wouldn't that be bizarre!

OMG i cant believe how much we have crossed paths.

Hubby works at woolies central (he is at work at mo....he works in the smell department: seafood). MIl works as a teacher too! And we can see woodlawn school from our house!

Ballina is extremely high for the cost of renting. We are $220 for a 4 bedroom with views and balcones etc. In ballina is was $220 for a 3 bedroom with no views and is apprantly even higher now. I have 3 friends in Lismore Real Estate that I can possibly put your name forth ahead of everyone else is you find a house with them!!!

Luci wise: BTW love her name, so cute! If she won't take much water, maybe put some extra boiled water into the cereal so its more watery. She is still getting the solids taht she wants and the fluids that she needs.

Ante-natal clinic, i think my next one is on the 19th of May at 10am. When do you start to go there? Im early due to high risk patient.

Do you have Msn? We could talk via that and not spam BellyBelly! Im not a platinum member yet (another thing to bribe hubby to let me have) and cant PM you.

Yummymummy - no msn here, only a slow dial up connection which makes life fun! You can email me though: [email protected]
    And you must be able to see my house - bizarre!