Thread: vomiting in sleep

maggie Guest

Default vomiting in sleep

Hi

My newborn DS has reflux, (4weeks old) after a feed, he always burps(can take a while) and does some possetting, some feeds more then others.

Sometimes i put him to bed as i think that he has got rid of all his wind etc, only to find out later that he has been sick in his bassinett. he always turns his head to be sick. i am worried that he can choke.
    How can i prevent this, and does this happen to anyone elses bub?

Melinda Guest

Jacob did this a lot, and Ruby does too. Jacob didn't have reflux as such - he was what is commonly called a "happy chucker", i.e. the vomiting didn't cause him any discomfort at all. Ruby so far seems to be the same, in that it doesn't upset her at all.......it just creates a lot of washing and bibs/spit rags are essential! LOL

Jacob did it until around 6 months of age.

The one thing I was told with having a reflux bub is positioning. Maintain their beds at an incline where their head is 25% higher than their feet. So with our cot we rolled up a blanket & popped it under the top end of the cot & put her at the bottom of the cot. Also for the first 30 minutes after each feed they need to be more inclined to help push that food down into the belly more.

Matilda had silent reflux and would often regurgitate if laid flat. It was awful to listen too.

Quote Originally Posted by christy View Post
    The one thing I was told with having a reflux bub is positioning. Maintain their beds at an incline where their head is 25% higher than their feet. So with our cot we rolled up a blanket & popped it under the top end of the cot & put her at the bottom of the cot. Also for the first 30 minutes after each feed they need to be more inclined to help push that food down into the belly more.

I was going to say exactly the same thing - it is what we recommend to parents taking their bubs home with reflux. Just make sure that bub is at the bottom of the mattress. You can also pop a towel at the bottom of the mattress if the crib has slats, so that bub's feet don't pop through!

Jesse does this too and has since he was born.. not every feed and not a lot but enough to make yhe sheet under his head wet. The incline didnt work for us unfortunately.

Tori was prone to doing this as well. Quite often Iw ould lay awake at night and listen to make sure she didnt vomit, but often still woke up to find a chuck puddle next to her head. We inclinded the head of her bassinett but it really didnt make a huge difference. That being said though her vomitting didnt seem to worry her.
    She still spews after most feeds and can vomit up to a couple of hours after a feed, but once again doesnt seem to fuss her at all.