Thread: Waking to be fed 3-6 times a night

Unhappy Waking to be fed 3-6 times a night

I don't know what to do girls. Emma was up 6 times last night. It has been heaps lately, but I am just exhausted, completely. And she cries until she is fed (she is bf), then feeds back to sleep then is fine. So basically she just wants BBs on tap & I can't handle it much longer. TBH it almost makes me want to wean because then I wouldn't have any choice but to not feed her. Please help, I'm so tired I could cry!

Also, she has always been wrapped, but now she unwraps herself pretty easily & I think this could be adding to it. Should I somehow try to get ehr used to not being wrapped (I have no idea how I could do this?)

oh Linda *hugs* it is so exhausting!! I know when Matilda was almost 1 she went through a while of waking up for 2-3 hours a night and just chatting & laughing to herself, but it kept us up! If we got up to give her a bottle she would go back to sleep for 30 minutes or so and then be up again doing the same thing... we wound up going to a sleep school after 2 months. And you know what she did? Slept through for the first time in her life for those 4 nights, as soon as we got home she stopped sleeping through...cheeky.

I always have a few things to "trial" during sleep disturbances. Maybe investing in a low weight or tog sleeping bag? Some babies who like being wrapped like sleeping bags & if you get a really low weight one it may get you through spring?
    *Have you tried the magical Brauers calm?? Its been helping afew of us.
    *How about lavender room spray?
    *Have you tried just going in & giving her a sip of water & a cuddle? Or does that stir her up & she just wants a feed...
    *Maybe have DH try to go in & give her a sip of water & cuddle...

Just thinking of somethings you probably have tried... But I guess it always helps for me to hear what others tried in the same circumstance & you do get to a point where you will try anything.

Thanks Christy - I know you have suffered with this so much yourself. I forgot to mention that Emma has done that twice this week - woken & wanted to play from 4am onwards! I just put a mattress on the loungeroom floor & let her play while I dozed, it was the only thing I could think of! Mind you I thought she's sleep great that day & night, but no, still less than usual! :eek:

No, I haven't tried all those things, I think I might even look into the Brauers now. Is it a spray (I should know, because I have read you guys talking about it).

LOL the Brauers are homeopathic drops that they take in their mouths, but there are room sprays as well that I have found helped!! I used to make my own camomile & lavender one but Sarah saw the Hippo one and I have been using that since... and although we aren't having perfect sleep throughs, we are getting better sleep.

The other thing was at that time that Matilda was really sensitive to the temp drop early in the morning, so she would be fine all night but when the temp started dropping around 4am she would wake up & be unable to get back to sleep. So we bought an oil heater & put it on thermostat so once it got below 18 in her room it switched on to maintain 19 degrees or something like that... thats what worked when she was 1 doesn't work now though LOL

LOL - so it's a continuous journey of wondering?

I think I'll go & find the room spray today....at least I'll feel that it might improve...

We took jenna out of her wrapping at about 9m, and put her into a grobag. It was a blessing It meant when she did wiggle around in her cot, we were able to ignore her for a little longer as we knew she wasn't getting cold or twisted up.
    I think I dropped night feeding (unless it was dire circumstances) abotu 1yr old as their little bellies should be able to go all night (from say 7pm-5am) without needing anything, but thats entirely up to you.

Melinda Guest

Linda, if you want to stop wrapping her, I'd suggest doing it gradually to get her used to it. Perhaps you could just loosen how tightly you wrap her each week for a few weeks before switching to a sleeping bag or something like that.

Jacob also went through a stage of waking during the night, just like Matilda, and chatting/singing to himself. He was totally happy, but it kept us up - sometimes for 3 hours at a time. Since he was happy mind you, we would just leave him in his cot and he would eventually put himself back to sleep without a worry, but sometimes he would get upset and we'd go in straight away to settle him.

Is it possible she's teething or something else is upsetting her ATM and therefore disturbing her sleep, and she's wanting a bit of a comfort feed? Just a thought......

Yeah, I should have mentioned that....I think she is teething. So I guess that is probably it, it just feel like this is never going to end.

When Emma wakes to play though, she cries until you come in & pick her up & then she plays, so I have to stay up with her

I'm just being so impatient with her today. I hate being like this...

NewmumLou Guest

Hi Linda, You poor thing i have had a couple of nights like that!
    Your little Emma seems like she loves to cuddle u! Maybe she is getting thirsty and instead of milk try boiled water as this will quench her thirst for longer!
    If Emma loves being wrapped, try getting a larger wrap and wrap it around her a few times, she will struggle to become unwrapped! take care of yourself!

Thanks Lou. I have her in the biggest wrap I could find. maybe I should go & buy some lightweight fabric...

Melinda Guest

I think I've heard of people using an actual flat cot sheet or something similar as a wrap? Perhaps you could try that?

I hope you get some rest soon matey......thinking of you.

I was in such a panick when I was thinking about Kaitlyn coming out of her wrap. I had been told to slowly losen the wrap each night until you take it away ..but she would just wake wanting to be wrapped tightly . Suprisingly I moved her into a sleeping bag and within two nights she was sleeping soundly!.

I am not sure on the waking ...Kaitlyn wakes this many times usually but it is because she has lost her dummy and wants you to replace it for her arghhh hehe.

NewmumLou Guest

Melinda: That is exactly what i do... but i have now moved Joshua into a sleeping bag also, they a fabulous!