Thread: Waking up cranky

Default Waking up cranky

Does anyone else's baby do this? She rarely wakes up happy in the morning and occasionally from her daytime sleeps I will hear happy chatting, but more often it is crying.

We went to sleep school 3 months ago and her attitude changed then - what we did was responding to her when she was more than whingy, but before she got distressed so it's not like she was left in her cot crying for ages (one time she went to sleep in 40 min, the rest were less than 20 with me going in a number of times). They also made us give up her comfort toy (but I don't think she was particularly attached to it)

I'm just finding it hard to work out when to resettle and when to get up (particularly in the mornings as she is waking particularly early the last couple of weeks). I generally feed her when she wakes (unless she wakes happy or it is close to her 'normal' wake up time) then pop her back down. She will either scream to get up, lie quietly for 10 min (I assume she drops off to sleep again) before crying again or go back to sleep for 45mins and wake up crying. If she stops crying when I walk in and starts bouncing up and down in excitement I get her up then.

I try and play with her in the cot so she doesn't see it as a bad place. And she goes to sleep easily with minimal help so I don't think she sees it as bad. Just would be nice to lie in bed and listen to her quietly playing rather than having to get up straight away!

Any ideas or other cranky babies out there? Maybe she is just constantly tired (but she sleeps at least 11 hours overnight and we tend to have total day sleeps of 2-3 hours)

Do you have a 'wake up time'? As in, say 7am or 7.30, what ever suits your family? Then if she wakes before this time resettle and after this time get her up. I have read in a baby sleep book that if they wake cranky they are still tired. Perhpas you could try a half hour earlier bedtime in the evening? What time is it in the morning when she wakes?

DS2 used to be like this, still is to a certain extent and he is 12 months older. I used to feed him and pretty much put him straight back down, then he would sleep for another couple of hours. I think he was waking up without having enough sleep as he was getting hungry. Maybe you could try this?

The last few days she has woken at 6. I've treated the feed like an overnight one and put her straight back down, after 10 minutes of screaming I give up and get her up. She doesn't wake overnight so I think she probably is hungry after going so long without a feed.

I might just have to get used to waking up earlier (7 would be SO much better). At least she is happy when I get her up, she just doesn't want to be in her cot.