Thread: Walkers?

Default Walkers?

Hi :wave:

I just need some advice because I have conflicting evidence here when it comes to baby walkers. Ive got plently of reading material, but sometimes I just like to hear it from actual people.

Do you have one?

Im told that under no circumstances am I to get a walker for my baby, as it will teach her bad walking habits. She will apparently not walk properly, and not develop her correct walking skills as fast as other babies who dont have walkers.

On the other hand, Ive got a few people who did use them "back in the day" and say that this is all hogwash?

Other than that, I realise the dangers of baby taking off, falling down in the walker etc, and I dont expect anyone would put their baby in one and not supervise them, so what I really want to know is it true about the walking problems it may cause and do you have any personal experiences with them you could share?

I know its a fair way off, and that I wouldnt want to buy one now anyway. But I would just like to either rule it out completely, or keep the possibility, depending on what you personally think and have experienced.

Thanks in Advance :flower:

We had a walker with Kimberley but she only used it a few times and she would only go backwards in it.
    I don't really like them much anyway so i won't use one with Alexander.

I think to help them used there legs a jolly jumper is better.

i have one for eliana & she loves it - i dont use it as much now that she is crawling but it was great for to be able to move around - it also had a locking function so i could use it as a chair though she already had a safety 1st exersaucer - i too read about the dangers but she would only be in it for about 20mins a day - her walking seems fine (only walks when holding your hand)

All i can say is my mum had me in one and until i was about 10 i used to walk on the balls of my feet because that what the walk makes you do. So in my experience it does mess up your walking.

I originally didn't want one for DD, then my brother brought one for her and she loved it! Not sure of the brand, but it was one that was suppose to be unable to be tipped over. We still kept a close eye on her anyway.

Don't think it really affected her walking.... she was walking at 9 months, so we didn't get much use out of it after that!

Nic

:flower:

Thanks for all your help. I think I will just keep the option open and see how I go, as opposed to telling each and every person I know NOT to dare get me a walker for a present.

They just look like alot of fun for baby, but I didnt want to hurt or hinder her at all by using one.

I appreciate your help and advice!

Custardtart Guest

My kids both loved using the walker and it didn't seem to affect their walking at all. It's really handy to have it when there are other toddlers hurtling about the house, because it allows the baby to be up on a level where they can interact, but stops them being trampled!

Kerrie

Well I was told that they were damaging to hips and leg development, so I didn't put Matilda in one. They have the stationery ones at day care & she used to love it. But she started walking at 9 1/2 months.

Alecia had one and she loved it no probs with her feet, back etc. I didn't have one for Em or Violet, but I think if someone gave me one I would definately use it. I don't have one because they are so expensive and know we can live without it.

Tanya