Thread: Ways to keep a 7 mo amused when u gotta get things done?

Default Ways to keep a 7 mo amused when u gotta get things done?

Just wondering if anyone has some ideas of how to amuse bubs when you have to get things done. Cooper is nearly crawling (at least commando crawling) and even though he has HEAPS of toys, he is SO bored with them now.

At the moment I can only think of at least 2 things that i know will keep him amused, which is giving him a rusk (or something he can munch on) or the jolly jumper for a little while. During this time, I can get things done, but I am running out of things to think of!!

Any other ideas please??

If you have a sling or a carrier he might like to go in that while you do things - he's getting to the age where they love to watch what you're doing.
    Another thing I do with my kids toys - put half of them away. When he's sick of the ones that are out, pack them away and bring out the other ones. Otherwise my kids have bucketloads of toys they won't look at, this helps keep them interested.

what about a walker? he can sit in there and play with the toys on them?

mooshie Guest

i used to swear by our battery operated swing - omg what a lifesaver that was. the kids loved it and i could move it around from room to room. dd was happy to sit in it (without the swinging motion) and look out the window at the cat and dog playing or my ds outside playing footy with his mates.

you can get them relatively cheap, i got mine 9yrs ago for $180 (a graco brand) and it is still in good condition and been used to death.

Jodie259 Guest

I used to put my DS in a high chair and I had this brilliant spinning toy that had suction caps on it. So I would suction that to the high chair table. Alternatively, I would put toys on the table - but he would usually toss them off.

I used a walker for a while - and he loved that! But I get concerned as he seems to "walk" on his tippy toes a lot - and I'm not sure if that was because of the walker. If it's not - then it was the best lifesaver for a couple of months!

Things that aren't toys! KWIM?

Pegs, tupperware, socks - he will crawl about the house holding a sock so gotta make sure dad puts his smelly ones in the washing basket , a pile of washing. I fold and he rolls about in it!

Caleb just loves to play with remote controls and mobile phones too but he doesn't get his hands on those very often.

My lifesaver is a empty bottle of soft drink with some rice in it. My daughter plays with it for ages. I have full length mirrors in my bedroom and she will just sit and play in front of them for ages as well

Fee Guest

My Cooper is 8.5 months old and nothing will entertain him at the moment. He is a real "Velcro Baby" and it's driving me crazy! LOL

Although he does love the peg basket, pieces of paper, ribbon, shoes, remotes. But he won't be entertained for long. He just cries when I leave his sight.

So the best thing to do is to put him in his highchair and put it next to me while I hang out washing etc. Otherwise things just have to wait until DH gets home!

It's been a LONG month and I can't see it getter better any time soon!!!

Darcy loves my purse, so much so that her chewing changed the colour of the leather lol. So when I got a new one I gave her the old one with old cards in it. She could spend ages pullin them out, opening, closing.

I agree with Flea about packing away some of the toys too.

Thanks everyone. Flea, I have put away some of his toys as you suggested - good idea.

Fee, sounds like a bit of separation anxiety. I know that when they are overtired they get clingy. I remember in another post that he was waking up in the night. How is that going now?

Fee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mum2boy View Post
    Fee, sounds like a bit of separation anxiety. I know that when they are overtired they get clingy. I remember in another post that he was waking up in the night. How is that going now?
    Yeah I definitely think it's separation anxiety!

He's still waking sometimes at night. Some nights he'll sleep all the way until 5.00 am and I think he's back to normal. Then he might wake an hour early - around 4.00 am ish. Then there are nights where he wakes at 11.00 pm or something and needs to re-settled.

I have no clue!

Fee again, he sound so much like my Cooper. We had about 10 nights in a row where he slept through from 10pm to 5am (I still give him a late night top up) and the last few nights he has woken up about 2 - the first night, wouldn't settle without a b/f, and then last night when he wouldn't settle, I sat him on my lap and read a book, and he settled straight away.

A nurse advised me to give him food that was more mashed than pureed now, because it takes longer to digest and therefore may not wake up for a b/f as they aren't as hungry. (I had thought that it should be thoroughly pureed even at his age) So far this seems to be working most of the time. The other things that are working to help him self settle is his baby dreaming CD, and he also loves to cuddle a shirt of mine that I have been wearing. Funny, because 3 weeks ago this didn't work, but now is.

But I am sure you are trying these things anyway, but keep persisting!