Thread: Weaning off dummies???

Default Weaning off dummies???

Hi girls...

Emily is almost 3yo and still has a dummy. DP and I have drummed it into her that Santa is going to come and take her dummies and leave a present for her... an idea she loves!

I think it would be the best if we took Violet's dummies at the same time, to minimise the temptation for Emily to pinch Violets dummies.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I should go about taking the dummies for a 21 mo??

Tanya

Ooh Tanya - I'm more interested if you have tested than in your kids dummies!!!! I have been watching your ticker with great excitement
    I think with Violet you could proabbly still get away with just taking it, and ignoring her cries on it for a few days. I think they are still young enough to forget fairly quickly.
    Emily you will definitly have to post it to Santa, or give it to the dummy fairy, or swap it for a toy or something like that, but I reckon Violet might be alright.
    When does she use it? At night or whenever she wants it? We just bought Jenna a comfort Winnie the Pooh for bed - its a tiny Pooh (about 4" tall?) and has a velour blanket that stuffs into the back of it. She's really doing well with the whole bed=pooh comforter, so maybe something liek that if its just bedtime?
    Good luck for you (on more than one front )

Thanks Fi...lol. I promise to tell you alllll about it

Tanya

Just came to check if had a miracle solution. Tehya is my only bub to have a dummy and I have no idea when I should take it from her. That said, she doesn't habg for her dubby (her words) either.

Tanya, goodluck hun

Well, most of the hard work has been done!

I had been woken 4 or five times on sunday night and so I decided I had had enough!! The next day I asked Emily if she would like to give her dummies to the fairy and the fairy would leave her a present.
    Eventually she thought it was a good idea... Wato took her down to the bedroom and rang my phone on his and I pretended to be the fairy who was going to come and take her dummies and leave her a present.
    Before bed she collected all the dummies and put them on the table. Violet WANTED THEM!! anyway we did the usual routine, read stories, brush teeth and in bed. Emily was quite relaxed about it all.... Violet was most upset!!
    She cried and cried! Wato was saying, 'it's not gunna work'. I got her up a few times. Eventually we decided to give her her fairy present... it was a bear that lights up and changes colour... she loved it!! We put her back to bed and didn't hear a peep. I decided to go in and make sure she was asleep... bad move!! LOL
    Anyway, when I went to bed I took her with me. She didn't cry for her dummies she was just overly restless. Neither of us got much sleep and when we got up in the morning her hair was a mat at the back!! LOL

They both had trouble sleeping the next day so we took them for a walk in the pram. By the time we got home Violet was asleep, so I wheeled it into her room and left her.

Emily eventually fell asleep on the couch with her father later in the afternoon.

Bed time comes around and they are both soooo tired!! Wato and I are dreading what's to come!! Do the bedtime routine and cross our fingers.... not a peep!!

They woke up several times during the night but they were fine really. I suppose it is only get easier from now.

Tanya

That's great Tanya!

Good stuff Tanya - I think we usually make a bigger thing about their dummies than they do. I was very surprised a couple of days ago when Jenna pulled Gaby's dummy out - only to give it back!
    I could have sworn she was going to stick it in her mouth, even though she hasn't had one for over 6 months. She was a serial dummy swiper....
    Hopefully justa couple of bad nights will be the only problem you get.

Geniebean Guest

Burial service.

Put dummy under pillow for "dummy fairy" to come and collect and leave money.

Cut a hole in it so it doesn't work anymore.

??

we gradually started to cut the tip off our sons dummy, after a couple of days he threw it away himself. he couldn't suck it properly

I cut a hole in the side of Kimberley's and she still used it then after a few days i cut the top off all they way and when she went to use it she said it was broken and threw it away she never asked for another one and has never used one since.