Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weekly Activities

Michelle our gymnastics sounds pretty much the same to the one you described.

Yasin just started gymnastics on tuesday. He has such a good time there - its worth every cent and even though it was only his second week this week he's already starting to catch onto the ideas of waiting for his turn and starting at the beginning of something and then going back to the beginning again. I think its good for him to do something that is a bit structured like this because most of the other places that he interacts with other children don't really teach him these kind of behaviours.
    In a week or 2 he will start 1 day a week at a pre-school. This is mainly for my sake but I'm hoping that he will enjoy the chance to learn some things that we don't teach him at home and make some new freinds.
    He used to do swimming and he loved it but until he's closer to being ready to swim on his own we're just teaching him ourselves because the lessons were getting a bit repetitive for him.
    Once I have Yasin settled at pre-school I'm planning to enroll Imran for swimming lessons on wednesdays. He can't go at the moment because I can't keep an eye on Yasin and get in the water with Imran.
    We also go to the playcenter down the road at least once a week. Its only $10 for the 3 of us including my coffee and its usually pretty quiet so I can relax and read thier trashy mags while they play.

Debbie Lee Guest

Ooo I'm a bit slack.
    When we were in Geelong, Gab interacted with other kids just about every day. We had playgroup too... so I didn't really need to get involved in anythign else.
    Here we just go to playgroup but she doesn't see her friends nearly as often so perhaps I should look into something.
    My only problem is that Neil's work hours are all over the place. I'm going to be working some days when he isn't working so I won't always be able to take Gab to whatever we join up in... depending on what it is, Neil may take her but I already know he'll go to playgroup once and never again... it won't be his cup of tea.

Mooshie - I took Cait to that gymnastics at endeavor hills ! Lots of things to do there, but Cait wasn't interested at the time, I think she was about 2.5. She's been doing dancing lessons now for a year and a half and that was mostly out of me wanting her to play with girls as all her best friends at pre school were boys ! I'm not that keen on it, there is no parental involvement, unless you want to sew costumes.

And don't anyone feel slack about not doing a class with your child ! I know it all stems from wanting your children to be able to experience as much as they can and maybe find some hidden talent or love for an activity. But it always makes me think of my SIL and her four kids who are just so overbooked into activities, sport, music, tutors, swimming lessons, dancing ... and none of them appreciate any of it.

Hi!

Louis has his swimming lessons each week we just started which he loves but thats it! We did Gymbaroo last term but I found it a bit boring.....
    We're going to start playgroup in the new year...

Does anyone go to those play centres regularly? We've never been but I assume it could be worthwhile now that Louis is walking and can climb a little??

The thing with me & playcentres are... I can't stand them LOL!!! But living in QLD where it barely rains we have parks every few streets, so parks are often a better option to me. Matilda goes nuts at the play centres & its far from a fun experience, we usually have 1-2 tantrums & me chasing her around the big kids play area trying to get her out of places, I could never sit & have a drink if I wanted one... so I think its heaps cheaper & worthwhile getting outside.

Debbie Lee Guest

Kristie - when I was in Geelong, we'd go to a playcentre once a week. A couple of the girls from MG would go every Wednesday to one and I'd sometimes meet them there. Other times I'd go with other friends to a different playcentre. Gabby loved them and I reckon her confidence was really boosted by playing there. One of the playcentres had an area for 4yo and under (tho most 4yo would go to the big kids bit) and it was totally fenced off so that they couldn't wander out into the cafe' etc. I'd grab a coffee and watch Gab having a blast (if it was quiet). If it was busy, I'd be in there with her but still having fun.
    Once I went with a friend and we were the only ones in the entire centre so we took our girls up and around all the big kids stuff... down slides, on jumping castles etc. I think we had more fun than the girls!! LOL
    Definitely take Louis along. During school time is good because they're usually nice and quiet.

Christy - oops... hehehe... didn't mean to contradict you there Posting at the same time. Each to their own, hey? It might also depend on the individual play centre (because they can all be so different) and the area.
    Last edited by Debbie Lee; October 27th, 2006 at 08:39 AM.

oh that sounds like a much better play centre than the one I went too... may have to check out some others.

Yeah playcentres all differ! There are some really great ones and some really really bad ones! I have a few faves and a few stear clears. Can you get any recommendations Christy?

*hugs*
    Cailin

The closest play center to me has the same arrangement as you mentioned Deb, the under 4's area is fenced off and its totally padded so I can put both my boys in there and sit down and have a coffee while they enjoy themselves. I love it because I don't really have access to any good babysitting so when I need some quiet time I usually go there.
    The other play center we use has more equipment and a giant bouncy slide that Yasin loves but I can't relax there because its always busy and there are big kids racing everywhere.

We are just beginning swimming lessons - mums & bubs sessions - on Tues. When i'm up to it (and not feeling sorry for myself with this m/s) we go to playgroup fortnightly on a Thurs. And when Ella gets a bit older i'll take her to the playcentres around here...i used to take my neice every Friday but Ella is still a bit too small for the equipment.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12