Thread: Weeping belly button

Default Weeping belly button

Just wondering how long I will be needing to clean out his belly button. It seems to be continually weeping, sometimes with a hint of blood. It's not inflamed or anything, so I don't think its infected, but it still looks a little raw inside. He's 3 1/2 weeks old at the mo.

Any suggestions?

Ivana,
    I was told to just leave it alone and let is dry out if there is no inflamation or redness. Just pat dry after bath times, I was lucky to still be in SCN when Elizas did this and after a few nappys with tiny amounts of blood on them it disappeared and dried out. Just keep on eye on it for infection and if you are worried talk to your MCHN
    Bec

Colleen Guest

I cant remember exactly how long Jays took but as long as it doesnt look infected, its just the healing process.

Maybe get the MCHN to take a look?

hmm.. thanks Shannon. I'll ask the nurse tomorrow, altho I'm not thoroughly convinced that she knows that much. hehe. I need to make my appointment with the paed shortly anyway. So long as it's not infected, I might just wait for the paed.

Indahs came off on her 1st day in hospital, it had pulled away & was stuck to her nappy, but slightly still attached to her, I called a midwife whom gently removed it & then bathed it with warm salty water & said to keep an eye on it, as it had come off really early... (I felt guilty, but how the heck can you control these things!?) The next midwife hit the roof about it, but I just bathed it with warm salty water after each nappy change & made sure it got enough air, it dried up & is a cute little button!!!
    So maybe just some warm salty water!???

Ok just saw how old the post is!!! ooooppps!

ETA: 1st midwife removed it & I had to ask for it so Dh could plant it in the garden...

Wouldn't ya know.. as soon as I've asked the nurse, and she's suggested using salty water etc etc to keep it clean.. it cleared up! And I didn't even give it any of these special cleans!

I swear this happens to me all the time.. you'd think I'd learn to ask earlier.. coz it seems just asking (either that or making an appointment with a dr or something) makes things clear up or go away

Thanks for the suggestions tho guys.