Thread: Weetbix after 12mths.

NewmumLou Guest

Default Weetbix after 12mths.

Did you know that there is new research done on weetbix, and they are now stating that you shoulnt give your child weetbix till after 12 months as it sticks to the babies stomach and hardens as their little bellies cant break it down scarey thought isnt it

I was told that it is more to do with the sodium content in them than anything else and that it is hard on their kidneys, but I imagine that would only be if they had them every day sort of thing. Sanitarium have brought out weetbix with the Wiggles on the box and they are formulated for kids 1-5 years old.

Fire Fly Guest

I didnt start Ds on solids till 6 months which is recommended but he has been haveing the wiggles weetbix and a piece of toast for brekky for a couple of months now. I havent had any probs with him not being able to go the toilet.

I heard too much fibre for little bubba's and won't start coco on weet bix for at least another month. xo

I think my Alex has a stomach of steel - he's been having bix since about 8 months, mixed in with baby cereal to start with. If they're supposed to be eathing what you eat after 12 months, it's probably easiest to start with breakfast.

oh no, will stop feeding weetbix to Ben. I have been giving it to him for the past few days, I really should have done more research, but its difficult in a country where nobody knows what they are. Silly mummy. He doesnt seem to have had any problems, but better to be safe than sorry.

Kaydee, don't stress about it. I think studies like refer to the worst possible outcome and also that if the child was having it all the time, not occasionally or even for a few days OK. If you want something with a bit more bulk in it than rice cereal, I always found porridge to be a fantastic breakfast food for my three.

Allegra loves weetbix and has them most days for breakfast. Ive not seen any change in her poo's or diet at all. She literally gobbles the stuff up! I'm not convinced that its really bad for them but then I guess I'm a bit relaxed about it!

I might try porridge, thanks sherrie. and i suppose having weetbix every few days for breakfast wouldnt be a problem, like Allegra Teena, ben hasnt had any problems so far, and he loves them too!
    Here they have brought out (well, in the Uk, we get Uk tv, so i see the adds for them all the time.. i wonder how long it will take to get to Germany, if it ever does) Oat-a-bix... "not made from wheat, made from Oat-abix". Maybe they are in Oz too? maybe they might be a bit better, you think??

I have read the ingredient on the Wheet-bix packets and all including the Wiggles ones have salt and sugar, yet the lite-bix have nothing but wheat and water. Has anyone else noticed this? My friends ped told her to alternate cereals for breakfast to give the bub variety as well.

No Oata-bix here!!!

I give DD semolina some times and she loves it

NewmumLou Guest

Yeah i was shocked when i was told about this also. I have started Joshua on solids already (as he is a hungry baby and he is loving it)- some vegies- but when i was told about weetbix i thought i may stay clear for the next few months. I think now all this research is going to turn our babies into children that have to have bubble wrap around them 24/7.

chant Guest

We have such a wheat centric diet in the west. I figure it's good to eat a range of grains. My other babies loved plain oats porridge made with water. Recently I started eating millet meal porridge myself (when I was preg I became intolerant to wheat for the whole 9 months!), which is also plain millet meal and water. I figure this is the cereal I'll give to Rachel when she's ready for solids. Millet has a naturally high iron content.

wow that so interesting as Jordan has had lots of probs with poos, struggling to pass them. He has been eating weetbix for a while now and has it every morning.
    Maybe I will cut it out and see if that makes a difference.

Marnie has been on Weetbix for around 4 months and has had no trouble pooing at all. These studies often report the extremities. Caution is always needed and I vary her breakfast - she gets bored of the same thing every morning like we all do I suppose.