Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weight for 12 month old?

Default Weight for 12 month old?

To cut along story short what would a round about normal weight be for a 12month old? DD is abit over 10KGS and I thought that was ok until the other day when I was talking to a family member about her DD and she is not quite even 7 months old and weighs over 10KGS.

A 7 month old at 10kgs is abit heavy??

Linz, Tom hit 10kgs at 14 months. From memory Jack was 10 kgs at around 12 months. So your DD sounds really normal. I think 10kgs at 7 months would be well above average. I guess it comes down to birthweight, build and genes, as well as bf vs ff, when they start solids and how much they eat. Also those that crawl and walk earlier tend to slow their weight gain earlier too. So there is quite a wide range of "normal".

Kimberley weighed 10kilos at 12months old and did for ages. She's now 18.8kilos at nearly 5. Alex weighed 12kilos at 12months old and now weighs 15.5kilos. Eleanor is just under 10kilos now.

MR- Yeah I didnt think of all that, I was just a lil stunned and then thought maybe DD was underweight..

Stop worrying Linz, she sounds just fine to me!!

Chelsea was 9.7kg at 12 months and that put her in the below average percentile for her age.

Yeah, I think it would be below average, but not abnormal IYKWIM? Tom would have been about 9.5 at 12 months, maybe not quite, and he is a huge eater. He was eating more at 10 months than Jack eats now at nearly 3. Yet Tom is tonnes lighter at the same age. But he was born early and was a full pound lighter at birth so I'm not worried. I think it's just one of those things.

I wouldn't stress too much as long as she's eating & healthy. I don't remember what Zander was at that age, but a friend's 18month old DD is around 14.5kg while Zander is 13.5kg at a few months shy of three LOL! It all depends on how active they are etc.

Like everyone has said, it seems perfectly normal. Sammy is almost 2.5 years and weighs a little under 14kgs.

Jo

I would say that 10kg for a 12mth old girl would be the weight of most girls that age. My girls were both 10ish kg at that age they looked perfectly healthy. Even though they both weighed the same, Paige looked a lot leaner than Erin as she was quite a bit taller, so height can make them *look* different even though they weigh the same. By the time they start school, you wont even be able to tell who was the heaviest toddler at 12mths, they all even out pretty much.

it's probably a good thing because if they pass this new legislation they are talking about where 4yo are weighed at preschool for obesity (which I have so many issues with but that's a whole other story LOL), then you don't want your kids to be too heavy.

DD was just over 10KGS at her 12 month weigh in!!

but when she had her needle the doc said wow she is a big girl!! but to look at her she is not,she is really tall for her age and thats what makes her look older than what she really is!! plus yeah she was 11pd 3oz born but in 12 months she has only doubled her weight, so to me she is going just great!!!

Archie was 10 kgs at 12 months old

10kg at 12 months is what health professionals *guesstimate* for emergency calculations. She is fine.

Yep, 10kgs sounds great to me!
    My DD was 10.05 at her 12 month needles and i think that makes her on nearly the 75 percentile line in the charts.
    I wouldn't take those charts as the be-all and end-all, but I would take a relative's word on it either! Heaven knows why they feel the need to comment on how big/small/tall/short they are!!!

Thankyou all, im feeling much better about it now.

My DS was around 11 kgs when he was 12 months old... but he was 10 kgs at 8/9 months so didn't put much on. He's now only 11.5-12 kgs at 17 months old. He was a big baby right up to about 6 months old when he got sick over & over and lost a lot of weight...now he's one of the lighter ones in our group of kids the same age.

Oh dear, I think my DD is a hefalefalump! DD is a little over 11 months and I think she weighs (at a guess) about 13 or 14Kg!!!! BUT, she is also a very tall girl and is in perfect proportion (well, maybe not PERFECT proportion... she is getting a bit of a belly!
    Seriously though, I don't worry about weight - especially since I agree that once they are more active, their weight evens out. And I would much rather encourage healthy eating and lifestyle than obsess about weight.

Linz she sounds normal, and sounds about the same size as the bubs in my mummies group! Claire is 11 months and 7.5kg, but she is petite.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast