Thread: Weight Gain

Default Weight Gain

My daughter is a really fussy and difficult eater. I weigh her weekly and weight gain has been in the range of 110-210g a week which I take it is fine. This week though she only put on 80g. Should I be concerned? It is VERY hot here at the moment which makes feeding an even bigger challenge.

I wouldnt worry too much. From 6-8mths Lily never put anything on, but she's always been slow at putting on weight. So as long as she is gaining weight i wouldnt worry too much.

Thanks Tegan. I just have a constant fear of them wanting to put her in hospital with a ghastly feeding tube down her nose again - something we want to avoid at all costs. So I guess as long as she is putting on something then that's ok. Hopefully when we head down to the cooler weather of Vic and Tas next week she will get more of an appetite!

Melinda Guest

WHAT?!?! You're coming to Tassie?!?! You snuck that one into that post Soph LOL!!! Whereabouts down here are you going????

mooshie Guest

soph

try not to worry although i know it is sooooo hard not to. from day one lani has been shocking at gaining weight and i was lucky if she put on 150gms a week in the early stages, the most she has ever gained was 850gms and that was over 2 months. she is now 14mths old and has only just hit 9kg (she was 3.9kg when born) she is quite tall tho.

lani is a very fussy eater and indenpendant at it to, god help if i try and give her anything from a spoon (i reckon she thinks i am trying to poisen her lol) she has been fussy like that since about 8mths old.

generally if they are happy and healthy, plenty of wet nappies and some growth then all should be well, however if you are worried take her to get a checkup.

re the hot weather, i started giving lani cooled boiled water out of a cup from around 4mths old (as it was january and very hot) she is a little trooper and drinks heaps and heaps of water. try and give her water as much as you can, if she doesn't take it from a bottle or cup she might like you giving it to her from a "grown ups" cup or you could even spoon it in.

good luck

Ah thanks heaps guys - just the reassurance I needed! Yeap she is happy, alert and laughing. Wet nappies down a bit today but understandable cos it's just disgustingly hot.

LOL Melinda. I'm down in Tassie from boxing day until NYE, in Hobart where the family is. You are up north aren't you?

Melinda Guest

No! I live in Hobart! LOL!!!