Thread: weight gain-newborn

maggie Guest

Default weight gain-newborn

Hi, my DS is almost 5weeks, last week he put on 260grams but today when he got weighed, his icnrease was only 115grams, the health sister was not concerned, is this normal?

Thanks

What was his actual weight? And what was his weight at birth?

maggie Guest

Hi, his weight at birth was 3930. and today 4315 (4weeks 3days?

I was told with my DS as long as they are gaining it's good. Also some weeks they put more energy into getting longer etc. If the nurse wasn't worried I'm sure it's fine, he'll probably put on extra next week :-)

Fee Guest

I think you'll find MW tell you different things. The MW at my clinic says babies should have a minimum weight gain of 160 grams per week.

But I've heard other people say 100 grams.

But if no one is concerned then I would not be worried.

This is such a minefield! I think nearly all MCHN will have different ideas of what constitutes poor weight gain. I think if they consistently only ever put on that much, then that is just the way that they are. Also take into account the other factors like had he just had a large bowel motion, or a very wet nappy or a feed jsut before the last weigh - there are so many things that can contribute to how much weight they put on from one week to the next.

it is also possible that at the last weigh in he'd just had his three week growth spurt and now things have settled down again to a smaller gain.

Well, his weight at birth put him just above the 85th percentile. His weight today puts him right on the 50th percentile, according to the WHO.. So, given that his weight is approaching average, amd he is cotinuing to gain some weight, I'd agree with your CHN. Nothing to worry about.