Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: weight loss

Default weight loss

Hi All

I have just come back from my MCHN from getting Charlotte weighed and she loss 55 grams in ten days, before that she put on 30 grams in 5 days.
    I have been refered to see a pead, and I can not get to see him until 24 of April. I think the reason she has lost weight is that I cut ber b/f so she is having 5 feeds in 24 hours, we did this as she has not taken to solids and we were thinking this may help her try to eat, but I think this has made her loss weight, so I am now to feed her when she wants it, to try and get her to gain some weight.

On an average day, how often would Charlotte want food?

I struggle to get 4 feeds a day in for Chels....but she is gaining weight very well (355gm in 3 weeks).

I hope she gains more weight soon!!!

Charlotte would be happy to be b/f all day long and not take any solids, the only thing she ever wants is a little bit of bread when I east my lunch.
    So the answer to your Question, She may want solids mayby once every few days.

Oh Kelly sorry you are going through a tough time. I too stress about weight gain as you probably know. Good idea to get things checked out just to be sure, but it may be that she's just not a big eater and isn't going to be a big bub. Have you had any tests done yet? Was it you who was going to get a urine sample done? When Ned went through his long phase of negligble weight gain was when he had the UTI (and absess) and I think that low appetite and weight gain can be as a result of that. May be worth a trip to your GP just to organise that in the mean time? At least then you may be able to rule that out before you see the paed and it will give the paed something more to go on as well.

Soph- it was me. and the urine test came back clear, I know that she is not going to be a eater, but I would like her to gain weigh and not loose it.

Well at least that's great that she doesn't have a UTI. I guess the paed may do some other tests like blood tests, but I don't know. I'm thinking of you, believe me I know how agonising it is to get them weighed. Ned's been slow gaining again too - only 50g in 2 weeks but I've decided to wait a month or so before I get him weighed again. I think if you weigh too regularly, even little things like a pooh or the timing of the last feed is going to make quite a difference. Hope your girl puts on some weight soon. How much does she weigh now anyway?

kelly i reckon once to start feeding on demand again she will gain weight no probs. all babys are different some need a few feeds some lots of snacks. in a way it's better to have the later paed appointment cos by then she would have gained lots of weight i'm sure.
    beckles

I had just fed her before I got her weighed,
    She now weighs 7.025 kgs at 8 months and 1 week. How much does Ned weigh?

If she isnt taking food, but BF, thats at least better then nothing.... it has everything she needs until she will take to solids.

Chels weighs 6.310kg at 4 months......she def likes her formula.....

Charlotte is just a lil bubba.....did Madison have the same problem or did she like solids?

Beckles- I am going back to demand feeding,.

Kim- Madison loved the food, and still does, by the time she was 8 months old she weighed over 9 kgs.

Kelly, I'd go with what beckles suggested, she really knows her stuff and is amazing support.

Totally doesn't matter what Ned weighs but anyway, he was a big bub born 8 pd 10.5. He weighed about 7.7kg last week.

Had she done a poo prior to (but close to) getting weighed? This can make a big difference in the weight as well.

I think if your doctor was that worried, they should be able to get you a paed. appt earlier than that (although within a months is a lot earlier than I would get one). If you are really worried maybe its worth pressing the issue?

My paed booked someone in within 2 days after talking to her on the phone - I was paying my account at the time, and she just came out and told her receptionist to make room for this patient.

I have gone back to demand feeding Charlotte, I hope this will push up her weight a bit, as this was working before.
    My GP told me to come back if Charlotte contuines to loose weight, and he will get me sooner.

I wouldnt worry to much abit it as Callum my DS did the say. Instead of losing weight he didnt put any on in a month. I just cut out more bottles and offered him more solids. Try and find things she likes and just give her that. My son has weekbix, puree apples and toast for breccy, s/wich, yog, or hot meal ( left overs / tin spaget) yog and fruit for lunch and dinner he has what we have or if he cant just tin of baby food or vegies, custard or ice cream. He also has bikkies he love them for morn tea if awake and afternoon tea. Most babies love custard and that make them put on weight. My nurse told me that so he would put more on.

Good luck

Missy thank you, The only thing is that Charlotte wont take solids, I got her eating 1/4 of a vita brit this morning and that is great for her.

Until she's 12 months the most important nutrients will come from BM... so you are doing a great thing by going back to demand feeding. I know Matilda lost weight around 8-9 months because of starting to walk & move around a lot more. She wasn't interested in solids at the best of times (and still isn't interested in eating) she loved her bottles at that time though. Matilda didn't put any weight on between 8-9 months and at 1 year was 7.8kg. She is almost 3 now and has only just reached 14kg. Very thin, but she eats when she is hungry and is extremely active.

Awww kelly im sorry the solids are not working to well. I us to put puree apples on Callums weetbix. That was the only way he would eat them. Have you tried the custard. You just buy it already made at the supermarket and wow its yummy...Im so glad Callum is just a share-a boy as he gives me some of his...hehehhe

Just got back from the MCHN and Charlotte has lost more weight this week, 65 grams in the past week, so she now down to 6.960 grams.
    We are now booked in to see the pead this thursday. Hopefully they can tell us whats wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast