Thread: What are 2 year olds up to? (Proud Mum Warning!)

Default What are 2 year olds up to? (Proud Mum Warning!)

DD turned 2 in August and not long after I drew a face on some paper for her, went back to the computer and when I looked up she had drawn a face very similar to the one I drew. She now draws them all the time. They have hair, eyes, nose, mouth and even arms and legs.

Now that I write this, I think it probably is pretty normal for a 2 year old, (Especially an only child!) but it would be interesting to hear all the clever things other 2 year olds are up to as well.

She can count to 12, knows all her colours (The 'everyday' ones) and can stumble through her ABC's and other nursery rhymes if you sing with her.

Thats pretty good! Glenn only turned 2 in August also & he is only now starting to increase his vocabulary (lol is that spelt right?). No counting or ABC's here! But he does seem to recognise shapes & draws circles.

I must admit though I don't pull out the pencils & paper that often because he is a distructive little bugger & I end up with tiny bits of crayon every where, texta's broken in to bits & pencils with no points. He is going through a weird stage, all food gets thrown on the floor the minute he looses interest. The amount of toilet paper he has wasted the last few days is unbelievable! Drinks are tipped out ON THE COUCH. Its like when ever I turn around he has made more for me to clean up! My house is always a mess atm!

Tehya is only 21 months (actually just about 22) old and she is counting to 5. She is using the potty lots now and even did poo's on it yesterday. Her vocabulary is huge, every day we are hearing more and more words. She can communicate in basic sentences to us.

She does like to do drawings, but as she likes to draw on the walls I rarely let her go with them. Tehya knows what a circle is and will tell me circle. She is starting to ride a pedal bike quite well. She only got it for Christmas. She can also tell me the parts of her body and face.

All in all I think for her age Tehya is doing quite well.

It sounds like Ella is doing nicely too. When did she turn 2 ??

Glenn likes the walls too!

Melinda Guest

Jacob's vocabulary is expanding daily. It is really quite amazing just what he is picking up on and the extent of his vocabulary. He is improving with his basic manners too, i.e. please/ta (he'd been on a protest with those two lately!).

He knows the alphabet and can count to 5 (he was reading the Doctor's eye chart when DH took him to the doctor a few months ago). He knows some colours, but it can be a bit it and miss at times. Jacob can't draw recognisable pictures as such, except for rain LOL! He loves drawing rain. We haven't had his textas/pencils/crayons out since before Christmas because he got an etch-a-sketch thing! It's great and he loves it! No mess drawing! Love it!

He has started using the toilet at night before his bath, but that's about it on that front. He has known body parts for goodness knows how long - it was one of the first things he really picked up and would point to them all when asked, long before he could talk.

I think the picture you mentioned that your DD drew sounds wonderful! What a clever little thing she is! It takes a lot of skill to be able to draw like that I think!

Madison can count to 10, she will sing along with songs, she has lovely manners always thank you and please. She knows nearly all body parts, and OMG does she like to talk and always clear like today we said good bye to a friend and then in the car she said " I want Sarah, have to ask daddy first"
    She loves drawing, but can not draw faces just dots and lines. She is using the potty all the time, will poo and wee with out asking, I have to get her to tell me now and then it will be no nappies.

Thanks for your replies ladies. Sounds like some clever little tots there!

FJ, Glenn sounds like he's on the ball. He's a cutey too.

Trish, Ella turned 2 on the 4th of august and while she is quite bright with regards to ABC's, shapes, colours etc.. she's not too interested in potty training and hasn't mastered pedal pushing just yet. Tehya sounds very advanced for her age!!

Melinda, wow at Jacob reading the doctors eye chart!!

kmh, Madison sounds like a little star too!

Zhai has 3 of us helping him, and his aunt is a childcare worker...
    he can spell his name, count to 10, sing nursery rhymes (its quite cute when he walks around the house singing twinkle twinkle little star) he tells you what he wants etc, knows his body parts he can draw circles and lines, knows some of his colours. But he isnt ready for toilet training. well he is ready but he wont do anything on the potty.
    All your kids are going great, Sounds wonderful to me!!
    Have a great day ladies...
    Oh and DS started pre school in Nov last year and he now loves it....

Sounds like we really do have a clever bunch of kiddies on here.

So now not only are BB babies the cutest, their the smartest too

Jenna is nearly 21m old, and has an enormous vocab. I reckon she is up to about 200-250 words or so, but you need a practised ear to hear some of them
    She has been counting to 10 for about 6w now (she has to count EVERYTHING!!!!!), and recognises letters - she knows ABC (PMSL) but when we sing the alphabet she can do a couple of strings of letters (like XYZ).
    We are working on colours at the moment, she knows all the words (pink, yellow, purple, blue, red, green, orange) but is hit and miss with them. She usually gets blue right though.
    She is miles away from drawing shapes though, but in saying that, if it takes her fancy she could start in a week and have it sussed fairly quickly.

As for manners, she always says please and thankyou, will always say Bless you and Pardies. If we could just stop the tantrums she would be quite a pleasant little girl!!

Melinda Guest

Ooooh yes, that's another one! Jacob will say "pardon me". Now if only we could get him out of deliberating squeezing out burps and farts, we'd be right! (And if we could sort out the tanties LOL)

Melinda it's not so bad when your boys squeeze out the farts. Try having a daughter that does it. PMSL.

Tehya is very good with her please's and thank you's, 'muse me and bleck you.

Melinda Guest

ROFL!!! I'm glad I don't have the only toddler who is totally obsessed (and amused) by bodily functions!!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Elijah is 26 months and his strength is his vocabulary, been very chatty with lots of words... but his artisty is not!!! Still scribbling here, over everything....
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

yep all scribbles here apart from the circles he is quite proud of but he is quite a chatterbox LOL people are constantly asking me how old he is and commenting on how bright he is !

Isn't it interesting how they really vary heaps? Even siblings? Olivia has a massive vocab and talks like a 5 year old, and draws really well, but is HOPELESS at anything like riding a bike or climbing: she is totally unco!

Charlie is still not talking at all (he is 18 months) and we get excited at times when we think he may have said something really simple like "dog". But, give Charlie the opportunity and he will sort through the Wiggles DVD's, pick on he likes, put it in the machine and press play and then do all the actions to a song perfectly....(Rock-a-By Your Bear or similar).......and he can ride a bike round the house and can climb confidently & safely.....

Go figure........same genes...totally different. Both beautiful.

Melinda Guest

That's it Lucy! Jacob was late to start talking - all because he threw himself into the physical side of things IYKWIM? He's always been very physically active and I think he has just always put his time and energy into those things.