Thread: What activities do you do with your baby?

Default What activities do you do with your baby?

Just wondering what everyone does when their babies are awake?

I play with little one on her play mat with dangly toys, she has a rocking chair that has dangly toys that she also sits in and plays, we do tummy time, I read her stories, we go for walks and feed the ducks in the lake. After she has a nap, we do it all over again. DH says that he thinks I do more than enough, and is worried that she's not going to be able to play by herself later on.

Is there something else I should be doing? I just feel that sometimes she's bored. Do babies get bored?

Sue x

You sound like a great mum - you're doing more than enough! DD is a older than yours but at 3 months, she was pretty independent. I did read to her and play with her while she did tummy time but she was quite happy playing under her jungle gym by herself most of the time.

DD is still very independent and helps herself to her toy box and entertains herself a lot of the time. I do sit down and play with her though - showing her how to put the shapes in ther shape sorter, reading books, putting the rings on her ring stacker and taking them off, etc. We also do Gymbaroo together once a week (started when she was 4 months old) and we did swimming in the warmer months so we'll start that again next term. We often go for walks or catchup with friends at a park so the kids get some fresh air and interact with each other. We have a Fisher Price swing hanging from out patio too so I swing DD in that while I throw the ball to our dog. DD LOVES this, finds it hilarious. She's cruising the furniture too and walking with her walkers so she does that quite a bit and we also put her on her trike and push her back and fourth. Sometimes we dance around the lounge together - she loves dancing so much! I also let her empty my underwear draw while I'm putting washing away in our bedroom too. She's a big fan of emptying things at the moment.

Sounds like you do pretty much what I do. I have a bouncer for Bosley and change the toys on it and his gym regularly but he doesn't seem to have a favourite yet. He loves music - whether I sing to him, or he has the music in his bouncer on, or if I have a CD playing. I know that music and sounds are supposed to be great for them. I sometimes worry he'll be bored, but then I think I am thinking that if I were him, I'd be bored! He finds the littlest things fascinating and he'll grizzle if he's had enough or doesn't like something. When we're playing on the floor, he loves watching my hair flop around. And he loves it when I wave my finger and touch his nose and say 'beep'. And lately he's loving watching me eat. And he likes it when DH and I open and close our hands or clap. See, easily pleased!

Tummy time isn't such a success though....

I just remembered a few other things!

DD spent a bit of time in her Maclaren rocker too when she was younger. It has a toy bar so I use to rotate the toys from her jungle gym and she'd happily sit in it for a while swatting her toys.

I also have a Fisher Price Jumperoo which DD started using when she was about 4 months old (when she had good head and neck control). She still loves a good bounce in it and it's been a saviour on many occassions - especially now when I want her contained (and she's in no mood for her playpen!). I highly recommend getting one or an exersaucer/activity centre at some stage. They really are amazing.

DD also has a Fisher Price activity table which she loved even before she started standing as she could reach the button to activate the music from a sitting position! An activity table that lays flat and then converts to a table or walker would be a good investment when your DD starts sitting by herself.

Last, but not least, the old Jolly Jumper is awesome. We got one for free so we used it outside. DD loved bouncing around in it and looking at the breeze in the trees and the birds flying around. I personally prefer the Jumperoo as it has toys attached to it and plays music and is more comfy so they can spend longer in there. It wears them out too so they tend to go to bed easily after their 'work out'.

Thanks so much for taking the time JLeigh and Taurean!! Sounds like I need to get myself one of those Jumperoos!!

And Evie isn't all that keen on tummy time either but unfortunately I am a mean mummy that way and we do 15 minutes at each end of the day. I put her in front of the TV when we do it, stick Jungle Junction on the TV and watch that together. Seems to distract her from the TT!

I guess I want her to develop well too, and don't want to be holding her back without meaning to if that makes sense?

Cheers again
    Sue xxx

rhyb Guest

Gosh Im super slack! I read a book to all the kids and set out toys for them to play with across the lounge as Sienna crawls while Bella and Ruby commando crawl. Aiden will play with them and they do fun stuff like play with play dough and blocks together but my tribe are happy to do their own thing luckily.