Thread: What actually is a naming day?

Default What actually is a naming day?

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone would be able to tell me what actually happens in a Naming Day? Has anyone else done one of these? We dont really want to have a baptism or christening for our bub, but I think my family (Roman catholics) will expect at least something, so I was considering a Naming Day instead to try to keep them somewhat happy. My understanding is that it is done by a Celebrant rather than a priest and it isnt a religious ceremony.

But just wodnering what theyre actually like? Do you have readings or anything like that? I've never been to one so I have no idea.

Thanks for any help

I have done 2 for my 2 boys, Ashtons will be in March.

We booked a celebrant who just read a couple of poems and introduced Ashton to the guests etc, and presented him with a Naming Ceremony certificate that us and the boys godparents signed. Only went for about 15 mins the actually ceremony part, but we did it mainly so the kids could have "godparents" and we are not religious so didn't want a christening etc

Love

Kat's right, my mother-in-law is a Celebrant and does naming ceremonies.
    All 3 of my younger sibilings also had naming days, its a day to recognise the child, read a couple of poems, acknowledge the godparents, all without being religous.

I can send you some more information on it if you would liek, just PM me.

Cool thanks for your replies. That sounds more like what we would like to do instead of a full on baptism, as we arent religious so I cant see the point in a full on baptism, but would like to have something to replace it. Will think about it and if we decide we want it I might take you up on the offer of more info Naomi. We stillhave at least a few more weeks till bub is born.

Approximately what age does one normally have a naming day? I assume it really doesnt matter does it - just whenever you want?

Yep doesn't matter at all Karina. My mum made a gown for my kids, so we have ours when they fit into that LOL. Ashton will be about 5mths, Lachlan was 3 mths old and Kameron from memory was just over 2mths old, so Ashton may not actually fit into the gown by then LOL.

Love

Kiara will be just on 5 months when she has hers in Feb... Hopefully she fits into the dress that we bought her!!! LOL it's 00!

Alexander is having his naming day in a couple of weeks... pretty much will be a gathering of closest friends and family in a nice park, the same celebrant who married us will be there to do the ceremony; which includes a few readings, our hopes and dreams for Xander, and a bit announcing the Godparents (some people like to call them Mentors instead). We opted for a naming day as we are not religious and didn't want a baptism etc.

abs Guest

good timing for this thread - we are having a mix of Naming Day and "early" 1st Birthday for Jordy in late March. In the middle of sorting out who will be invited... a good friend of Jen is a celebrant and will be doing the honour. We aren't planning "godparents" as such, but will ask that everyone be a part of his life and to be available if and whenever we need a hand

I also spilled the beans in the April Baby Buddies group, I might look into doing a surprise elope whilst the celebrant is there... why not :P (surprise for the guests that is)

abs, they won't be suprised if they're cyber-stalking you on BB :P

Debbie Lee Guest

We had a naming day for Gabby. Our main reason was because we didn't feel comfortable having a Christening given that neither Neil or I attend church. I did, however, want something special for Gabby like I had with my Christening.
    The naming ceremony was performed by a minister but the religeous aspects were toned right down. In fact the only religious piece was a small prayer at the end of the ceremony (that one that starts.. "The Lord bless you and keep you, the Lord make his face to shine upon you"... might sound familiar to some?). Anyway, it was lovely. We just had it in our back yard as part of Gabby's first birthday celebrations. Neil and I lit a candle and Gabby had godparents make their promise etc. I guess a naming cermony is about the significance of the child to the family and formally "naming" them?? Might mean different things to different people. Either way I'm glad we did it