Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: At what age can you say

Default At what age can you say

If they are left handed or right handed?

I think Glenn is going to be left handed. He always uses his left hand for things. He will swap back & forth between hands but when ever I actually pay attention to which hand he uses, its in the left or winds up in the left.
    My uncle & 1 of his kids are left handed so its in the family.

Is there anything different to teaching a left handed kid how to draw, write etc?

Around 3-4 Fiona, before that babies are ambidextrous.

Ah ok cool. I couldn't remember when Evan had "picked" what hand he was. I think it was around 3. I remember getting a report card thing from his preschool saying he was looking to be right handed. That was just a few months after he started So he would have been 3 & a bit.
    Glenn will be 3 this yr, not till August but still.... Gees they grow up so fast.
    I would love for him to be a lefty. MIL was convinced that seems I had 4 U/S's while I was pg with Evan that he would be left handed. His right. I only had 1 U/S with Glenn & I think he will be left. LOL that will show her!

My brother is left handed, and the only real thing he found difficult was the plastic scissors they used at primary scholl were right handed, and very hard for him to use. He had an excellent teacher though who got some left handed scissors for the class.

Milo still uses both, and will swap from one to the other when I give him things - just not always right-left or left-right!

GLenn seems to favour the Left thats for sure.

I am a leftie (or a molly-duka as nan would say) and I am the only one in the family, and would have loved for my kids to be lefties, so I got a bit excited when Paige started showing left handed tendencies, but lately she has been favoring the right one. I had no problem at school and if anything became ambidextrous because I had to use the normal scissors etc. Even now I only really use my left hand to write with.

Apparently only 9% of the population is left handed, so it is sort of rare.

I wonder if it's an inherited gene? Both my FIL & BIL are lefties so Zander or any other children we might have could also be lefties.

I don't know Sarah, I suppose it would be a gene of some sort, but I don't know if it would be heriditary or just one of those things that pops up kwim?

Well my MIL thinks you become left handed from having had lots of U/S's done. Thats why I think it will be funny if Glenn is left handed because he had the least amount of u/s done out of the kids.

I am going to say that Glenn is left handed till I see him actually be right handed. I have been watching him all day & he is using his left for everything. Not really even swaping back & forth. I hand it to his right & he puts it in his left to use it.

I suppose you could test him Fiona, and put something on his right, like a pencil or something and see if he picks it up with his left, or picks it up with his right and then puts it in his left to draw with.

Yeah thats what I have been doing today. I handed him his drink, fork, toys etc to his right & he puts it in his left to use it.
    ETA - Oh I see what you mean let him pick it up & see which hand he uses... I will do that at dinner & see what he does

I think you might have a leftie on your hands from the sound of that then.

Scissors are the big thing! Livvy is a leftie and started showing a preference very early on from around 2 when she was drawing and eating can be a good indicator too. We are forever needing to buy leftie scissors lol...but other than that no dramas at all.

Jo

mooshie Guest

hows this for weird my 6yr old ds uses his right hand to draw, write and eat etc - however when it comes to ball sports well he generally kicks a footy with his right, but his an equally good kick on the left foot, throws a ball the same way with both and with cricket and golf well he holds the bats/clubs with his left, he has tried with the right but it just doesn't work for him - he is always being pulled up on it by people thinking he is usually right handed but not when it comes to sports.

told ya he's weird lol

Handedness is genetic.

Right handedness is dominant over left, which is why left handedness is so rare.

Basically if a person has one gene for right handedness and one gene for left handedness they will be right handed. But they are able to pass the left handed gene to their children. A person would need two left handed genes to be left handed.

That's a very simplified version of the way it works... other things that are genetic, apparently, are which way you cross your arms, and which hand goes on top when you clasp your hands together.

Just some of the random things I remember from my days as a science teacher!

BW

so its not something thjat has to "run" in the fammily then? just depends on what got passed on?? So if glenn id left handed then its because dh& i both passed on the left hand gene instead of one of each? is that right?

Pretty much. Although that is extremely simplified and what actually goes on with genetics can be much more complex.

There are also some cases where it really doesn't matter what the genes say. My friend's baby has a funny right hand - his thumb is more like another finger than a thumb, so that will make it harder for him to use it. Regardless of any genetic traits for him, he will have to be left-handed.

BW

MUMMY4LIFE is offline .: ~ Don't regret anything that ever made you smile ~ :.

I have actually heard (this is possibly an old wives tale) Looking at the back of babies head, check which way the swirl of their hair grows iykwim...if it swirls to the right then baby will be right handed and you guessed it if it swirls to the left, baby will be left handed. I'm really not sure how much truth there is to this or even how accurate it is. My son is right handed and his hair swirls to the right...but this could just be coincidence.

Now everyone...go and check babies head!!! (LOL)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast