Thread: At what age did you drop daytime sleeps?

Default At what age did you drop daytime sleeps?

Hi!

I'm having a bit of trouble getting Louis to sleep at night at the moment! He is having a daytime nap usually around 1pm and is up by 3pm most times. We haven't changed his night routine at all and we try to put him down by 7.30pm. It's now taking usually an hour or more for him to actually go to sleep...
    Once he is asleep he usually has a big night time sleep and wakes anywhere from 7.30-9am!!
    I don't really want him to drop a day sleep with no.2 soon to arrive but I'm sure he's going to want to soon...he went down to 1 day sleep at about 11 months so has never been a big napper...just a big sleep overnight...

Look forward to hearing about your experiences with your toddlers!! Thanks!!

Mackenzie is 3 in June and just starting to drop her sleep - usually if we are out she will just keep going. Yesterday was the first day we purposly kept her up as we were having problems with her going to bed at night (finally falling asleep at 9.30 and taking 1.5 hours to get down). However she does still wake 7 out of 10 nights and can have restless nights. I think I wil be guided by her - today she slept for 1.5 hours during the day as she had a bad night last night (awake for 2 hours 2.30-4.30) and we didn't have a prob putting her to bed at 8pm - she went straight off to sleep. Some of the other kids at playgroup who are all the same age - I think there are 2 out of 10 that no longer have a sleep. All kids are different. Just be guided by your sons behaviour and tired signs. Most of my friends who have older kids have said that their kids still needed a sleep every 2nd or 3rd day for a while just to catch up. So I guess I've been no help really!

Thanks guys!!

Nah, I don't think he's overtired. After his bath he could come out and play for ages I think! We just sit him on the couch quietly and have cuddles anywhere from 10-20min with his dummy and blanket and then it's off to bed. He's not cranky going to bed he just jumps around and throws everything out of his cot etc...
    Also, I put him down at 1.30pm today and he napped about 1 1/2 - but I only put him down because it was getting a bit later and I didn't want him to sleep past 3pm ish iykwim? He wasn't overly tired at 1.30 to need a sleep...
    This boy's just go too much energy for me! hehehe.

Kristie,

Olivia is 3 and still has a nap from 1-3ish......and Charlie is 20 months and still naps from about 12.30 - 3ish.

Both of them go to bed at around 7.30pm, but both of them "read" in bed and Charlie in particular chats to himself and plays in the cot for up to an hour before he drops off.......(then he'll wake at 7am in the morning......)

I reckon it is totally normal for them to have "wind down" play in the cot.......it is cute to listen to as well! I remember Olivia going through the same thing at a similar age........

Jack is 2 years and 1 month and still naps for 2 -3 hours in the middle of the day. He is definitely mr cranky pants if he misses his nap. But there are some kids who stop needing it earlier. Friends have a DD that dropped day time sleeps at 18 months. I feel sorry for the mum! Both my boys sleep at the same time most days and it's a great chance to get things done (and occassionally to rest myself).

If Louis is still going down easily for his day sleep, I'd keep it up. Maybe he does need a later bedtime? Or maybe you just keep things as they are. I don't really have any advice as I haven't been there. But I hope you find something that works for you all.

Milo will normally have 1.5 - 2.5 hours max. sleep through the day, whether its one sleep or 2. At night he sleeps from aarounf 7:30pm til around 6am.

All babies are different. Mum reckons i had two 1.5-2 hours sleeps a day until I went to kinder, when I had to drop one so that I could go!

Thanks!

Yeah, I won't be dropping it anytime soon as I think everything will probably change when Dylan arrives anyway!!
    I think I'd go crazy without him having his day sleep at this stage anyway!!
    At least dh is home at night to help with him anyway!!

We cut back to one sleep at 18 months, and now she's nearly 2.5 and she still has one sleep a day.
    I will die when she cuts that out.
    With a little baby as well it's the only thing that saves my sanity some days, so I can see why you dont' want to drop it yet

My DD is the same, never really needed a lot of sleep although she is a good sleeper - I just mean if she doesn't have a sleep if we're out somewhere where she can't sleep or our day is interrupted etc, she is fine, no cranky pants at all.

She turned 2 in January and still has a sleep from about 12.30pm/1pm usually till about 3pm. She goes to bed at night between 7pm and 7.30pm but I agree with Lucy, I think they need a bit of wind down time just like us, and on occasion I've heard her in her room still awake about 40 mins after we've put her down. Just talking quietly to herself, no crying or anything, and that's totally fine with me.

Coco is on one sleep now, about 11am for an hour and half or two hours. Tilly had day sleeps until she was 5!!!!!! She really needed her sleep and we only stopped that because of school. She used to do 12.30-2.30pm. Could you try bringing the sleep a bit forward? maybe give lunch at 11.30 and then bed? xoxo

Matilda sleeps 5 days out of 7 and around 1.5 hours. She is 3 in June too. She has gone through phases of not going to sleep easy at night... okay well she mostly hates sleep but she has gone through phases where it could take hours to get her to sleep at night & she falls asleep around 9-10pm. These times usually are directly related to some change in her life. Since she was 2 her sleeps at night have been effected by things happening in the house.