Thread: What age did you leave child unattened in the bath???

Default What age did you leave child unattened in the bath???

Hi,

I was wanting to know at what age did you allow your child/children to have a bath without you being present.

My eldest is nearly 3.5yrs and i am unsure as to what age is appropriate to leave a child unattended in the bath.

Thanks Leah

Hi Leah,
    there is no certain age...only when you feel comfortable. this topic really scares me as statistics say something like kids only need a couple of centimetres of water to drown.

its really not good to leave them unattended for long periods of time. always make sure you a close by

but mum always knows best so you will know when the time is right

Westy, I leave Will in there now only to go to his room which is right next door, but Nyah (4) has been in the bath with him.

But I left Nyah first in the bath when she was 2.5 yrs, but b4 that I'd not leave her or him alone.

Tough topic, well done to ask it, something I've often wondered but never asked, IYKWIM.

Yeah - I dont think you shoudl ever leave a child completely alone as they could slip and knock themselves out.
    I think its a great idea to encourage noisy bathtime for toddlers, that way if you need to do something in the next rooom when they are older, you can always hear them, even if you cant see them!!
    You may not have to watch them as they reach 3-4 yo, but you still have to check on them IYKWIM?

Thanks heaps ladies for your quick responses.

Fi, my son is very noisy in the bath so i will always know he is ok while i can hear loads of noise .

Nadia, i have gone into my DS room to get his pj's (which is next to the bathroom) but thats about the extent of it.

Danni, it is scary isn't it especially when like you said it only takes a few cm of water for a little one to drown.

Thanks again for your replies

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I left Marisa once, just before she was two to get a towel quickly from the linen cupboard, which was very close to the bathroom. I got back to find her having climbed up the bath and into the sink. No idea how she had gotten up there so damn quick but it freaked the living daylights out of me and I made sure I never forgot a towel at bathtime again! Now she is almost four, I pop in and out without too much worry - sometimes she has a bath or a shower and has been fine, although lately she has been wanting to turn off the taps herself in the shower, so I have had to make sure I reinforce to her how she does it without burning herself, as she'll just get out whenever she pleases.

I am all for teaching them about what things mean and what they do. She also uses scissors really well and safely - I dont tell her off for using them but I ask her to tell me if she wants them and she uses them around me. Her kinder teachers can't believe how well she cuts out objects and shapes - a bit off topic but I am so tired I am rambling LOL...
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

I am not sure when Tilly was left on her own, but I think at about 3 i would be in there and run out to check dinner or whatever. Just small amounts of time. I did worry about slipping and I wouldn't hear her knock her head or something. I still keep a close eye on her and she's 7!!!!!!!!!!! I leave her on her own, but i always make sure I can hear her. xoox

Maddy is 7 & I will grab bits & pieces but continually check on her!!!
    If I am busy doing something, then both DH & I call out to her & she yells back...
    Plus she sings & stuff so we know her head is above water, as soon asit's quiet, I will yell out to her & she will reply, if not Dh goes running in there (Say if I'm breastfeeding...)
    But I still worry..

I've had to go to the toilet a few times lately when the boys are in the bath. The quickest pees I've ever managed to do LOL!

The girls have all been around 31/2-4 where i felt i could leave them and just listen out for them. I have little singers too so its always been a good way of making sure they are fine O

Jo

Only about a year ago for us, so DD was about 5! She is loud in the bath, so if there is a moment of quiet, we just call out now.
    I still help her get in and out of the bath, mainly because we only have a cheapie bath mat in the tub, (can't buy a decent one in town) and there was recently a little girl in town who slipped when getting out of the bath and hurt herself in a not so very nice place!
    I know I tend to be a tad overprotective, but the thought of DD possibly getting hurt while getting in or out of the bath, just terrifies me!

Nic

Bambi Guest

My son is 3 1/2 years and i still don't leave him on his own. I have left once or twice to go to the cupboard just outside the bathroom and pick up a towel and straight back and he has hardly moved.
    He has a bath about once a week, He is more into the Showers now and he usually jumps in with Dad or just after, if he wants one on his own.
    But he usually wants a shower like twice a day, Must be hot for him.
    I didn't overly like the baths for him either, cause he tries to swim like on Tv and gets a face full of water, Oh poor darling.
    But nope, I still don't leave him alone.
    Its way too dangerous.