Thread: what age did you toilet train?

Default what age did you toilet train?

hi there dd is 15 months and is very aware of her poo's and wee's, just wondering what age you all toilet trained at?

DD started toilet training at about 18 months but it wasnt until she turned 2 that I had her in training pants and stuff. She is 2 1/2 now and fully toilet trained, even through her day sleeps, only wears a nappy at night time.

Good luck with it all !!

paradise lost Guest

DD is nearly 27 months and still not particularly aware of her pees or poos. If you leave her without a nappy she makes it to the bathroom to poo but does so on the bathroom floor. She just pees wherever she is. I'm not pushing it, it's not worth it to me. I'd rather wait until she's good and ready and do it in a week than have any amount of stress over it, kwim?

Bx

I waited till E was well and truelly ready and I was ready and it wasnt until 2 .5 that we began to start, she didnt have the vocab or the co-ordination to start any earlier. Somehow we did poos relatively easy it was the wee that took longer for us.
    Bec

I thought DD was going to toilet train around 18months but the signs of her readiness came and went......it wasn't until she had just turned 3 that she seemed to suddenly click and it only took a week or so until she was clean and dry during the days. She is now 3&1/2 and we are only 3 sleeps away from celebrating her being clean and dry overnight for a whole 3 weeks now!! For me it really was a case of her toilet training when she was ready......it was also so much easier and stress free for DH & I, and more fun too

I've heard that there is actually a trigger in there brain that will just switch on. Until then they can't feel that they need to go til they are going.

It's different for each kid. I have a friend who's son was out of nappies 24/7 at 12 months old. Very rare. Another friend's DD was out of them full time at 16 months.
    But my 3 year old is still in night nappies.

I started DD1 at around 16 months, but she was 2 - 2 1/2 before she started to go. 3 1/2 when she came out of night nappies, but still did wet the bed once or twice every week or two. She has only really stopped wetting the bed the last 8 months or so.

DD2 started around 2. Got the hang of it around 2 1/2. Went back into nappies at 2 & 9 months when DS came home from the hospital. Is out of day nappies again now at 3. It was starting daycare that got her going again 3 weeks ago. Still in night nappies though.

Pooing is supposed to be easier than weeing. I'm not sure why, but they usually get number 2's sorted first.

My DD1 is 2yrs and 3months and has been dry for 2weeks though still in a nappy at night time. I tried her about a month ago and we had lots of accidents so i left it and then she pretty much did it herself when she was ready. She refused to wear a nappy one day and so far so good. Our only issue now is she doesnt like to do No2's on the toilet or potty but she wont do it in a nappy either. She just needs encouragment she does tell me when she needs to go she just gets a little frightened i guess but so far only one accident.

I know i am a bit away from it yet, but i was TT fully by 12 months and my sister was about 12 mths day time, but a bit hit and miss at night...
    Mums methods may raise a few eyebrows due to the age, but i think that i am going to try it with MJ...
    what she did was, this started when we were able to sit up alone, she would feed us (BF and soilds) then for maybe 5 mins after, the nappy would be off and we would sit on a potty... usually she would play a game with us or sing... if we did nothing, no big deal and nothing was ever said negatively, however if we did a wee or poo, there was heaps of praise. at that age we didnt really know, but mum was able to watch for the signs that we needed to go (like EC) and go from there. i think that it helped us become more aware earlier.

So yeah, im going to try it (i am sure there are loads that will think tat this is wrong) as its not putting any pressure on, just helping raise awareness of wees and poos iykwim...

paradise lost Guest

SammieJane i was TT by that method at 11 months, but my dad tells me my mum went on sitting me on the potty/loo every hour all day until i was 2.5, so that, to me, isn't TT iykwim. I was feeling really worried when DD got to 15 months and was showing no signs (knowing i was so much younger) and then my dad enlightened me. LOL.

Bx

SammieJane - I think there are a few women on here that have TT from birth.
    When DH and I lived in China we realised that most families over there do from birth as well basically using estimations on when the bub might need to go then using an association like a whistle sound.
    Now that is environmentally friendly! LOL.
    I think more and more families there use nappies now though. Its funny how culture changes.

Matilda had wee's down pat before she was 3, but poos took a few months after 3 yrs old. At 4 now she still wears "night pants" and the few trials we've done have resulted in wet wet beds & her sleeping with us for 2 nights.... so we are happy with night pants for now.

THanks for that feed back Hoobley, i checked with Mum, she didnt need to sit me on the potty, i started to just take myself off to it, so i guess it worked with me and my sister...
    Interesting with the chinese doing it from birth and the whistle

I started toilet training my DD when she was 20 months.
    If your DD is aware of her poo's and wee's then i would start toilet training her now, if she's not ready she wont go but atleast if she is then you'll save money buying nappies all the time.

DD was aware of her weeing and poos for months and months before we could get her to train.
    We first tried when she was just turned two. Complete disaster, after two weeks I gave up.

Tried again (a bit half heartedly) at 2.5 - still very much hit and miss.

About a month before she turned three she announced she wasn't wearing nappies any more and just started using the loo. No dramas and only a couple of accidents. Still working on #2's though.

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

Charlie is 26 months and showing no signs of being ready so I won't push him yet. If he gets to three without showing signs of readiness I may try him without nappies during the day. But yes I too have read that something in their brain 'switches on' when they're ready.

we started TT at 2 yrs 5 months and we are still having accidents. I have to take DS to the toilet every couple hours as he isnt really telling us he needs to go until its too late. He does tell us when he needs to poo but wees he has no idea.
    I think we started too early for him but am not going to revert back to nappies now. I am happy to keep prompting him until he gets the idea.

We started at about 2.5 as well. DS has the general idea and we have a couple of accidents a week, some weeks none, some more. WEll, when I say accidents, sometimes he deliberately does it on the floor

sleeps he is still in nappy pants for both, Im not sure what to do with that one. There is a family history of going well into teens. Apparently there is a 40% chance of any of our kids being in the same situation.

When do you start? DS still has a very, very full nappy every morning, but often after a day sleep its totally dry. The coupld of times he's fallen asleep in the car etc and we've put him in to bed without a nappy in the day, he has woken up wet and most distressed by it.

I started toilet trained DD when she was 6 1/2 months old. To be exact, my goal was to toilet train her so she doesn't have to poo in her nappy which often gives her a bumpy rash. DD is 8 months old now and she goes to her own toilet seat first thing in the morning to do her wee and poo in there. After that, she knows it's bath time to get herself all freshen up. During the day, she still has her nappy on because really she is still a little young since she can't bring herself yet to the bathroom... as for the night, she still has a nappy on. Several time during the day, I put DD on her toilet and she wees in there so I hardly have to change her nappy during the day now unless we are out and obviously can't bring her toilet with us when travelling. I feel very proud of DD of being able to do her businesses in her toilet at this age. It took me a full week of putting her on her toilet in order to get her to know that this is her toilet time... after that, it's became a routine to her.

TBH, I didn't start this idea of starting to toilet train her so young... but in my family, my grandmother started toilet train me when I was 7 months old.... so my mom encouraged me to give it a try... and finally, it pays off by DD not having to suffer from those nasty rashes as she's a FF baby. So, it's never too young to try to get them used to this toilet idea.

P.S. it would be better to buy your baby's own toilet seat as our toilet seat are way too high for their little body! I don't know about Australia, but in Canada, it's sold for about 30USD. And when she grows out of that seat, it can be used as a stool or you can simply remove the seat and put it in our toilet seat so their bumps don't fall down to the toilet bowl! Have fun!