Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What age did your son start walking?

Question What age did your son start walking?

I am starting to get a bit worried.

M is now 14.5 months old and has no interest in learning to walk. He walks around the furniture with ease, and crawls at a very high speed.

He wont even walk with us holding his hands anymore (he used to love doing that months ago)

He was born 2.5 weeks early but I dont think this is the issue anymore.

Please tell me stories of your sons (in particular first borns) walking later?

Kameron was 1 week of 19mths when he started
    Lachlan was 15mths
    Ashton is pushing 21 mths and still isn't really interested. Takes a few small steps by himself but that is it.

They'll do it when they are ready.

Love

Ds1 was 12.5 months
    Ds2 was 18 months
    Ds3 was 13 months

Ds1 Crawled at 8 months
    Ds2 Crawled at 6.5 months
    Ds3 Crawled at 10 months..

Anywhere up to 18 months is ok for walking I think they recommend getting a check up if they aren't walking by 18-19 months though to make sure all is ok..

They all get there in the end

DS was 15.5 months.. I didn't think he would ever let go of the couch!!!! His cousin (who is 2 months younger) was walking way before him and I felt like he was really slow and that he would never catch up..
    But now he is walking..... so it will eventually happen.. try not to stress too much about it.. just think.. he's working on his brain development instead - so he'll be more intelligent... lol

DS#1 - walked at 14months, fell and then didn't walk again until almost 16months (without holding on)
    DS#2 - 13months

My DS was an early bird, started walking from me to DH at 8.5 months and now at 9.5 months is walking consistently. I don't think 14.5 months is a big issue, everything I have read says not to worry until 18 months and even then some kids are happy crawling. Bet he will start doing it now that you have posted about it LOL.

mum3girls Guest

My nephew was born 4 months before my daughter and she was walking several months before he started - don't quote me, but I think he was maybe 15 months?? Maybe older, because I can't remember him walking really well at her 1st birthday party, and he would have been 16 months old then.

My DS was 13mths when he started walking and was 8-ish mths when he started to crawl. He will get there when he gets there - it isn't a problem. He is obviously quite happy to do what he is doing because it works so well for him - I have noticed that with some babies they tend to achieve their milestones when they need to kwim? So you may find that when he gets frustrated that he can't do something because he can't walk to it, he may start to put more effort into walking kwim?

My DS is a while off walking, but my DH was 17 months. Some are happy to stay crawling for a while. It's pretty normal.

A couple of the lads in my MG were 15-16 months before they started, and now at 18 months are becoming more confident and walking more than crawling. No need to worry, D

Enchanted Guest

My MCHN's DS started walking at 21 months. He had no interest in it before that (besides walking around the furniture). He is now an active boy who plays footy and all types of sport. So even with her experience as a MW back then she couldn't do anything.

It will happen when he's ready

My DS started walking at 14.5 months but I am posting because you could be describing his pre-walking behaviour exactly - he was cruising around the furniture by about 7 months of age (he didn't start crawling till 11 months - he's always been a bit of an opposite boy like that). Everyone said to me "oh, early walker, he'll just skip crawling" but it didn't work out that way. I was starting to get worried just because he'd been cruising for so long. Wouldn't let go of the furniture at all.

One day he simply got up and walked and that was it. There was no transitional phase of just a few independent steps...he simply got up and did it and that was it. Next morning, got him out of his cot, and he walked to the kitchen for his breakfast (complete with great big cheesy proud grin!) No more crawling, no more cruising. I couldn't believe how sudden it was.

It's not time to start worrying until about 18 months (or at least the MCHN will worry), and as some of the girls here have already said, it can be even later. I know it's hard not to be impatient, it's such a big milestone in your life as well as his. One of my girlfriends has had 2 babies and one walked at 18 months and the other at 19 months. Both very intelligent kids.

Both my girls were 14.5 months.

DD#3 is 9 months and only just learnt to sit on her own - no interest in crawling/walking (AS IF she would have any idea !!! LOL).

My 3rd sister walked when she was 18months.

I wouldnt worry, i know thats easy to say when his 'friends' are probably experts now in the walking game. Your son has other interests at heart ATM. Its there....it will come....just try and be patient. Hugs.....

My DS (first born) started walking at right on 14 months. He spent at least a month before this walking push-toys and chairs around. Does your DS do this or only walk around furntiure? I never walked him by the hand before he could walk alone either (not interested) but he was somewhat obsessed with the push toys that he could use to walk (ie. prams, shopping trolleys, even pushing around ride-on cars). I think this gave him the confidence and independence to walk alone as so much time was spent everyday walking toys around! They have to have a desire to do it though, don't they?

Dani
    Jordan didnt walk until he was 17 months so dont stress
    everyone learns to walk eventually

Joshua was 9 months but Oskar... well he has only just started to walk going between dad and I. He used to like to "walk" holding our hands too but then didn't want to for a while, but now he will again. He's 15 months now and only really started to walk around the furniture in the last month. Don't stress, it's all good

Jack was 13months and 12 days before he took his first proper steps but was another month or so before he was walkign walking

Haha just as I post this M has started to stand up heaps more unassisted and has been taking one step before "jumping" down. lol

Thanks for the reassurance everyone

And yes he does walk heaps pushing cars around, trolleys, walkers etc but wont let go!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast